EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-24-14, 07:55 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Another passive house with crazy tight .1 ACH50

Its just a quick write up, but an interesting one I think. They have R42 walls, R100 attic. For air sealing, they used a layer of water and ice around the entire house. His ACH50 is .1! Crazy tight house. They use a 6 foot 240v baseboard heater for heat. The house is in Massachusetts.

Extreme Efficiency | Home Power Magazine

Quote:
I decided to forgo purchasing a fossil-fuel-burning heating system. I estimated that I saved more than $20,000 by making this choice. Saving this money allowed me to spend more on insulation—and afford a solar-electric system. I chose dense-packed cellulose to insulate the walls (to R-42) and the roof to an average of R-100. There is just over 16,000 pounds of cellulose in the house.

I control the humidity and ensure adequate fresh air in this extremely tight house with a Venmar heat recovery ventilator, which creates nice cross-flow in the house. The home has a 0.1 ACH50—compared to Passive House’s 0.6 ACH50 requirement. ACH50 measures air changes per hour at 50 pascals of pressure—the lower the number, the more airtight a house is.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solutions3.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	4502  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (09-10-14), Ryland (09-09-14)
Old 07-24-14, 08:09 AM   #2
Higgy
The Gardener

They used Grace Ice and Water Shield around the entire house you mean. When I first read what you said I had to go and check it out because...a layer of ice and water around the entire house...what? Yeah, that stuff is a wrap normally used just for roofing, but they wrapped it around the entire house.

The inside looks nice, but IMO they could have made it look nicer on the outside. I mean, if you're trying to make your house look as dull as possible that's fine, but it just looks way too plain for my taste. I like some character in my house.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 10:03 AM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I mean, if you're trying to make your house look as dull as possible that's fine, but it just looks way too plain for my taste. I like some character in my house.
I used to live in Massachusetts, and this house actually adheres pretty closely to the old, original Cape Cod House configuration. The more modern Cape Cod houses have evolved many patterns of variation, but the old ones are very spare, very Puritan.

I'd say that the builder has, in a very apparent way, gone back to spirit of the early tradition and applied Puritan's core value of simplicity to modern thinking of highly efficient house design.

The article also stated that the builder was trying to achieve Net Zero at minimum cost, which would lead to lower-efficiency fenestration, and less window area.

If this same Cape Cod House design were to be implemented with German technology, with even lower U-values of the walls & roof & floor, and if Ultra-High performing windows & doors were included in the design, I am positive that a more liberal and architecturally-satisfying use of windows would have been the result, but the price would have been a good bit higher.

Best,

-AC
buffalobillpatrick (09-10-14)
Old 07-25-14, 10:22 AM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I thought it was interesting that they had plans to change out the heating and AC already.
“, I am planning to install a ductless minisplit air-source heat pump, which will use even less electricity to do the same job.”
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-14, 10:50 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I was also surprised by the lack of windows. Probably mostly due to the cost.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:41 PM   #6
Higgy
The Gardener

YES, thank you. I was trying to remember where I've seen houses like that before. Yeah I'm just not a fan. It's not even the lack of windows so much as just the plane jane siding and front door. I know it's all just for looks, but I like a house that appeals to the eye.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 01:52 PM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I was also surprised by the lack of windows. Probably mostly due to the cost.
From the description of the builder's chain of decisions, I think that it is a very good bet that he is using the Passive House Planning Package.

With PHPP, you can instantly see the thermal consequences of your decisions.

If I'm not mistaken, there may be a version of PHPP that will also allow you to do cost estimations at the same time.

But there is no "prettiness" calculator built in.

Regarding the resistance heater, I think he went for that because it is cheap and reliable, but inefficient. At $80 cost, not a bad decision... too bad he doesn't report resistance heating cost info.

But a very small mini-split would be much more efficient, and would be within the output rate of his PVs by a larger margin.

I just did a hasty break-even analysis, based on the scarce information available. "X-axis" is years to break-even. "Y-axis" is annual electric cost (as if it came from a power company).

If his power requirement for heating is very, very low (as it should be), the time to break even would be discouragingly long. So, my guess is that his decision was not motivated by cost and pay-back considerations, but rather he opted for the mini-split so that he could enjoy additional electrical loads and still be within his Net Zero goal.

-AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Break Even.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	4505  

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-26-14 at 03:55 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 02:59 PM   #8
ChetT
Lurking Renovator

I would think that the real motivation for the mini-split is to add cooling. Massachusetts has some ugly, hot and muggy summer days.
ChetT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 03:59 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetT View Post
I would think that the real motivation for the mini-split is to add cooling. Massachusetts has some ugly, hot and muggy summer days.
Although refrigeration cooling and de-humidification go together, my bet is on de-humidification, with his amazing insulation, his place probably doesn't get so very warm.

If I remember correctly, he also has a Heat Recovery Ventilator, which also recovers coolness, and does it's own passive job to lower humidity.

-AC
Old 09-06-14, 04:34 PM   #10
stevehull
Steve Hull

HRVs and ERVs do nothing to remove humidity in a location like a New England summer. The only way to get the humidity out is to use a low capacity heat pump (AC).

The problem with many highly insulated houses is that a typical AC unit is only made down to perhaps 2 tons.

Highly insulated homes cool down too fast with normal size AC and the unit will not run long enough to get rid of latent moisture.

The new variable speed scroll is now available in geothermal heat pumps (WaterFurnace and ClimateMaster) but are only in the 24,000 BTU and up size. But running at a 10% speed on the compressor would be a BIG help!

I grew up there and the summers with a dewpoint of 75-78F, even with an air temp of 80F are simply miserable.

Steve

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 09-06-14 at 04:36 PM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevehull For This Useful Post: