EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-04-09, 05:44 PM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default more efficent way to watch movies then a TV

I don't own a TV as they seem to cost alot, take up alot of space and when they are turned off they are sitting there in the room looking back at you like a big black window, but every once in a while my room mates or I get in the mood to watch a movie and my 9" laptop doesn't always cut it...

I kind of like gadgets and I like little things, thus the 9" EEE PC laptop (around 15 watt draw while running), so I've been keeping my eyes on some of the micro projectors, pocket size LDC projectors, some with built in batteries, some without, all of them powered by a high output LED instead of a normal projector bulb, thus they are cheaper and have a longer life then the normal halogen bulb projectors, they are also smaller, like they will fit on your hand small, in your pocket small.
I picked up one of the AAXA P2 projectors as it is the 2nd brightest (next to the Dell) costs $350 and has a battery option (30 minutes with the standard battery, $80 for a 3 hour battery), so today I plugged it in to the Kill-a-watt, full brightness, playing a movie off the onboard 1 gig storage and it was drawing 22 watts, projecting a 4.5 foot across 6 foot diganal image, with ok sound out of the built in speeker, the only draw back is the on board cooling fan makes some white noise but after a few seconds you get used to it, of course the smaller the image the sharper it is, but at 4.5 feet wide it was good enough to watch a movie on in a mostly dark room.
Compare that to the 200 watt 28 inche TV my parents have and I like that mine fits in a drawer when I don't need it, it also feels solid, that was my other worry.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 07:16 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Nice idea! Where did you get the projector?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 10:43 PM   #3
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

If you're looking for something cheaper, take apart a small LCD monitor, put the LCD on an overhead projector, and replace the projector bulb with a CFL.
Old 12-05-09, 10:19 AM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I got it from MyGearStore.com because they claimed not to be out of stock, it did turn out to be out of stock for about a week, everyone else clearly stated that they were out of stock.
I've thought about making my own LCD projector like that, but it would draw more power seeing as how this projector draws about as much as a small lcd monitor, or a CFL and it fits in your pocket.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 01:15 PM   #5
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Wow, great find!!
My Wife said she wants one from Santa

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote