EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-14, 11:34 AM   #1
kenora
Lurking Renovator

Default Using LEDs with Chamberlain garage door opener

I have an unheated garage on my property with two single garage doors. I just installed a HD930EV opener (belt drive, DC motor with battery backup).

The instructions indicate I should only use incandescent or CFL bulbs NOT LEDs as they interfere with the remote controls.

I use the opener lights to illuminate my work space and don't want to burn 200 watts (2 x 100) bulbs in the winter.
The CFLs will not produce enough light in a reasonable time frame in the -20 to -30 garage so I really really want to use LEDs (100 watt equiv) but don't want to mess up the remotes.

Anyone found a way to fix this, are there LEDs that don't give off RFI in the same freq range as the remotes (I assume that's the issue).

kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 06:52 PM   #2
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

There's already a thread going on about CFLs and LED lights interfering with garage door remote range. Take a look at that for some general info: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/lighti...ner-range.html

I'd say to buy an LED bulb and try it. If it works fine, great. If it causes any problems, replace it with one of a different brand. You are right, CFLs are a poor choice in a cold garage. I just replaced my garage door opener light with an LED a little while back and couldn't be happier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 06:54 PM   #3
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

In my experience, CFLs are far worse than LEDs as far as EMI goes.
Old 12-15-14, 08:11 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I'd also just give it a try. I've used a CFL in my opener for forever (yeah, it isn't bright in winter, I just deal with it) and it hasn't hurt range much at all IMO.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
kenora (08-11-15)
Old 08-11-15, 01:52 PM   #5
kenora
Lurking Renovator

I bought a bunch of 60 watt equivalent led bulbs from Costco ... With a MB hydro rebate it was $3.00 a bulb so I bought about 20... I've been using them in the garage for about 7 months and they work without any interference with the remote... I was so happy with them I put 8 mor over my work space in the garage.. LOTS of light for about 50 watts
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 02:04 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Great, glad to hear you got that resolved.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote