EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-05-12, 05:50 AM   #1
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Default Slowing down an AC fan motor

We recently had to replace our desk fan and we got a slightly larger model. As is it has three speeds, which consume 27, 33 and 37 watts, resp. It turns out that it's a bit too powerful for our needs, even in its slowest setting. I'm wondering if I can somehow slow it down further?

Old 10-05-12, 08:35 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Perhaps you could use a 3 speed ceiling fan type control spliced into an extension cord going to the fan. Otherwise I don't think there is an easy way to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 09:42 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Have you done anything with this?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 10:38 AM   #4
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Have you done anything with this?
I've gotten used to it
The only variable power switches I could easily find around here are simple dimmers for lights. The more complicated fan controls are hard to find and expensive, so getting used to it was the cheapest way to go. Especially since the fan's primary function is to speed up the drying time of the laundry we hang, which we do in an otherwise unoccupied room, so not much of a problem there.

I have wondered whether an in-line diode would lower both the power consumption and the fan speed, but I don't know if this solution works with AC motors
Old 10-20-12, 05:09 PM   #5
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

An inline diode will NOT work with an AC motor. It converts the AC input power into pulsating DC. An AC motor needs AC power, feed it DC and it becomes a short circuit.

A three speed ceiling fan speed control puts a capacitor in series with the motor. It reduces the power to the fan motor, forcing the fan to slow down. It does this without any wasted energy.

You can do this by wiring a capacitor in series with one of the motor power wires. Start with about 5 microfarads. A smaller capacitor will slow the fan down more. Make sure that the capacitor is rated 250 volts for a 120 volt fan, and that it is not polarized.

JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote