EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-15, 01:44 PM   #1
UNCSoc
Lurking Renovator

Question Foam versus blown insulation?

For a new construction, 1 and a 1/2 story house, we have an attic space about 50 feet long and 15 feet wide. The space is only usable for an HVAC unit or stuffing it full of insulation, since the highest point in the attic is about 6 feet.

The rafters in that area are mostly 2 X 8.

I can either use spray foam (open or closed?) or blow in cellulose or some other form of insulation, which could cover any ducting in the attic. (If not using spray foam, I would most likely not put an HVAC in the attic but in a conditioned space elsewhere in the house.)

I was advised that the spray foam, especially the closed cell foam, can create health problems and perhaps water vapor problems because it does not breath and has chemicals that may be emitted into the home over time. Any moisture that came in undetected through the roof may also create long term problems (since it is hard to detect with the foam barrier). An air exchanger may help, but is only 70 percent efficient or so. In contrast, the cellulose will allow moisture and harmful vapors to rise and escape the home.

But others said that it is hard to blow enough cellulose even into a flat space to get an equivalent efficiency since over time a thick layer of blown insulation will settle. And, they say, the foam is not a health issue. Even if it was, circulating the air or using an air exchanger could deal with any potential problems in air quality.

Which would you recommend? Foaming between the rafters or piling the attic high in insulation?

Note: I am reluctant to use fiberglass since that seems a greater threat to ones health (lungs especially!) than the blown cellulose.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

UNCSoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation