EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-15, 09:07 AM   #11
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

Hey that's my PVC exchanger It didn't work for high-temp/high-side compressor HP water heater BUT I'm glad I didn't throw it away - you gave me hope to use it in some way. I ended up building an all copper HX for hot water via HP app that DOES work. Just finished the pool water experiment and that is a success as well. Anyway, cool, I'm hoping to use that damn PVC HX for something!- [go brain go]

vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 07:57 AM   #12
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhead77 View Post
Hey that's my PVC exchanger It didn't work for high-temp/high-side compressor HP water heater BUT I'm glad I didn't throw it away - you gave me hope to use it in some way. I ended up building an all copper HX for hot water via HP app that DOES work. Just finished the pool water experiment and that is a success as well. Anyway, cool, I'm hoping to use that damn PVC HX for something!- [go brain go]
Doh, you got me! How much do I owe you? Or may I just be forgiven? @sorry I didn't ask permission first.

For the record, your hx design is a proven winner. Your solid copper one is a lifer. The one in the pic can be finished leak-free. Both are dependable warriors worthy of imitation.

BTW, what is this forum's stance on copyright law anyway?
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 06:41 AM   #13
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

Default PVC HX Final Version

LOL - I really don't care - it was kind of a surprise and, to be honest, I was a bit flattered. Here is the final version after trying all kinds of seals and epoxies - I had it threaded and I used these twist on rubber seals.I thought it was a winner. It stayed tight for about an hour then just started 'seeping' a little which of course is not going to work - thus the copper version. As per your suggestion, I do believe it would be a great HX in a submersed situation such as a pool (hp to pool water - to heat pool). However, I'm not that interested in heating my pool water so I think I'm going to adapt it to use on my sailboat. I'm thinking of putting long vinyl hoses in/out and dropping it overboard while docked or resting and using a 12V pump (in a closed loop) to circulate cool water through a small evap. coil to help cool the cabin. At the very least, there is still hope for the PVC model in some application I'm sure of it Thanks for posting - I enjoy your input and suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HX_Last.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	5360  

Last edited by Daox; 05-26-15 at 07:41 AM..
vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 08:00 AM   #14
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Wow, it still lives! I figured it ended up an orphan or worse.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote