EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog Register 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-20, 04:20 AM   #1
Rachael_B
Lurking Renovator

Default Cordless drill recommendation

Hi everyone, I'm sorry, probably should have started this thread in "Tools" section but I just wanted someone to recommend me a new cordless drill, I took the one I had from my father's garage when moved into my own apartment. I read some reviews here but the problem is I do not see the difference, so if there are any experienced DIYers, I would appreciate your recommendation.

Rachael_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 11:25 PM   #2
where2
DIY Geek

What do you presently have? There are battery adapters available for some of the older Nickel Cadmium battery tools to run modern lithium ion battery packs. (18V Dewalt, 18V Black & Decker, etc.)

My late father, and I have always been DIY folks for 40+ years. Dewalt makes great cordless products, which I have used for work but they come with a Dewalt price. (both for the tool, and for the replacement battery packs). For my own home DIY use, I've been through a series of Black & Decker cordless drills which have never let me down. The early ones I had were NiCd (Nickel Cadmium) battery technology. As time, and battery tech advanced, we replaced most of the NiCd drills not because the motor/gear box no longer worked, but simply because the batteries no longer took a charge or held a charge, and the batteries cost nearly as much as a replacement tool. (because Dad usually picked the B&D tools up on Black Friday deals).

My first NiCd 18V B&D cordless drill is still working great. When I found Ace selling a no frills NiCd B&D 18V drill with a battery for $18 a year or two ago before Christmas, I bought a few simply because I already had a collection of NiCd 18V B&D tools (saws-all, leaf blower, chop saw, flash light, etc.) $18 for a battery was nearly what I was spending in 2014 when I DIY re-celled my 18V NiCd batteries using the NiCd cells out of Harbor Freight 18V NiCd battery packs. My B&D tools all still work, just the NiCd batteries have died and gotten pricey to replace...

If I was buying a new tool today, I'd go with something with a lithium ion battery using a popular voltage from a mainstream tool company. (B&D, Dewalt, Makita, etc.) The worst place to be in the future is holding some discontinued tool with a dead battery and not being able to find a replacement battery, especially if you have built a fleet of tools that use the same battery.

A few years ago, dad got me a B&D 20V Lithium drill. I've since picked up a collection of other compatible B&D tools that utilize the same battery, and some additional larger capacity aftermarket lithium batteries.

In recent years, I've found that there are adapters to adapt these modern 20V Lithium batteries onto my fleet of 18V NiCd tools, so my 18V tools can live on...

One of my co-workers has a disassembled DeWalt lithium pack sitting on his desk which no longer would take a charge. We intend to DIY re-cell that little guy when we're not working 60-70 hour weeks at the office...
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-20, 07:43 AM   #3
Rachael_B
Lurking Renovator

Hi, it was Makita TD133D, very old one.. I'm choosing from DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch, I guess. I found the list actually https://wisepick.org/best-cordless-drill/, just have no idea which one is better. I see DeWalt on the top of the list but it's $200 and even if it's the best option not sure I need that one. So, there is no B&D, but you are sure that's a good one, right? I mean a real opinion is better than a random list.
Rachael_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-20, 09:40 PM   #4
Semipro
Andy

For value its hard to beat the Ryobi tools sold at HD. For half the price, I like some of them (e.g. the impact driver) better than the DeWalt and Makita I owned before. Their batteries are also relatively inexpensive when on sale.
Rigid is also something to consider since they provided a lifetime warranty on their tool and battery.
Its the batteries that eventually get you. They either go bad or the maker changes battery configuration without making them backward compatible.
Semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 05:45 PM   #5
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

If you check HD online, you can find sales on Ryobi tools. I bought an impact and drill in the case for $35 delivered. My batteries are about gone so I'm looking for another sale! I'll reuse the old stuff for other projects.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 04:02 PM   #6
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

My cheap B&D has never let me down in ~5 years, but I don't use it heavily. One night, I left it out in the rain and it survived.
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 12:50 AM   #7
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I've been through a lot of cordless tools. You generally get what you pay for. So purchase according to your frequency of use and what kind of jobs you put them on.

I gave up on B&D with the firestorm generation. I had a hammer drill and a drill driver both crack in two at the top of the handle, near the trigger. For the replacement set, I got a 12v Makita set. They've been going strong on the everyday handyman stuff. Everything from appliance repair down I would say. 3/8 inch 2 speed drill, 1/4 inch impact driver, quick charger, 2 batteries and a bag for under 100 bucks.

For the big dog jobs like auto repair and outdoor stuff, I've had a pair of Bosch drills for a decade. The 1/2 inch hammer drill is called "the brute" because that's what it is. Says it in bold letters on the body. I regularly change tires and break exhaust bolts with it. The other one I named "Marathon man" because it outlasts every other cordless drill on the jobsite. It'll drive sheet metal screws or drywall screws from daybreak until lunchtime on a charge. Put the battery in the charger over lunch, and it'll keep going until late. Both bluecore nicd batteries, brute is 18v and marathon is 24.

I just got my dad a set last Christmas, it is the in-between of what I have. Came the same as the Makita set with a bag and such for around 120 on sale at home Depot online. His old firestorm drill finally gave up, the gearbox shredded. When it died, he went and got a 20 Dollar Walmart special. No torque, short battery life, he cursed at it incessantly when he used it. The first summer, one of the batteries kicked the bucket, and I had the pleasure of fixing it for him. So he used that turd until Christmas.

The drill is almost as powerful as the brute, but a lot smaller and lighter. The impact is pretty tough for what it is. Not a big bad flywheel bolt breaker, but you can change car tires with it. If anything ever goes wrong with anything, home Depot is close. As relatively little as he uses them, I will probably inherit them.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote