EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-12, 10:46 AM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Hack Your Refrigerator!

While searching for something else, I came across a very interesting article about radically reducing the energy consumed by a refrigerator.

The target audience for this article is people who are living off the grid, and are trying to maintain many of the aspects of civilization, in this case, refrigeration. The beauty of this is that all of the ideas given here will help in reducing power consumed no matter where you live.

The ideas range from mild (check the door gasket) to wild (cut a hole in the north side of your house for the heat dissipation coils to protrude from).

Of particular interest to me is the idea that refrigerator's energy use can be reduced by more efficiently extracting the waste heat by water-cooling the condenser coils. The water used to cool the coils can become water pre-heat for domestic hot water... a double win!

Definitely food for thought here.

Topics include:
  • Minimize both the frequency and the duration of door opening(s).
  • Check the door gasket.
  • Don’t overload the refrigerator.
  • Correctly set the dial thermostat.
  • Re-examine the refrigerator’s contents weekly.
  • Evaluate the refrigerator’s size.
  • Siting the Refrigerator.
  • Maintain clearance around the refrigerator.
  • Design alcoves properly.
  • Consider alternative refrigerator sites.
  • Trade in frost-free units.
  • Insulate the refrigerator.
  • Re-locate the HDC (heat-dissipating coils).
  • Build a hybrid refrigerator/water heater.
  • Use a horizontal refrigerator rather than a vertical one.
  • Use a 110-Volt AC standby generator.
  • Use an inverter.
  • Modify the motor-compressor unit.
  • Replace the motor-compressor unit with another that matches your system.
  • Power the refrigerator with a battery charger.
  • Convert the unit to the correct fuel.
  • Modify the gas refrigerator for AC or DC operation.
  • Purchasing a new refrigerator
  • Purchase and modify an old 110-volt refrigerator.
  • Purchase an RV- or PV-type refrigerator.
  • Find and buy a Servel (or other brand of gas) refrigerator.
  • Build your own refrigerator using a solid-state module.
  • Refrigeration alternatives
  • Build and use a root cellar.
  • Learn canning for foodstuffs.
  • Dehydrate your food.
  • Control and “pace” your food supply.

This guy is no stranger to thinking outside the box. Lots of great ideas.

Curiously, the idea of converting a freezer to a refrigerator was not mentioned.

-AC_Hacker

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freezer-conversion.jpg
Views:	9352
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	2036  
Daox (01-22-12), Piwoslaw (01-22-12), vann (06-08-13)
Old 01-22-12, 01:09 PM   #2
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I had considered three thoughts:
1/ Cut two holes in the fridge and utilize a differential controller to operate dampers and fans to introduce the Canadian cold outside air into the fridge.
Con: alot of care has to be taken to ensure no Canadian air enters and cools the house.
2/ Move the condensor coil outside the house to free cool air.
Con/pro: The warm air blowing accross the floor from the condensor is nice on the feet on winter mornings. Its welcomed extra heat inside the house.
3/ Try propane as the refrigerant.
Con/pro: Maybe I'll try this one.

The larger energy demands for our home we have reduced with good results Geo-thermal heating & cooling and the solar hot water for domestic and space heating and our lighting needs are met with mostly LED and CFLs. I would expect our energy pie graph would look much different. My next endeavor will be an electric pick-up truck. For me this is the next largest energy hog i'd like to slaugter. This will be a hole new thread up & coming.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 08:00 PM   #3
BradC
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
2/ Move the condensor coil outside the house to free cool air.
Con/pro: The warm air blowing accross the floor from the condensor is nice on the feet on winter mornings. Its welcomed extra heat inside the house.
If you get sub-zero conditions outside, be careful of this one.

The cap tube relies on a minimum pressure differential to operate properly. If you over cool the high side gas (the generally incorrect term for this is over-condensing) then you don't have the pressure required on the high side to force the gas through the cap tube for it to evaporate and cause cooling on the low side. Thus no cooling occurs.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradC For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (01-23-12), Ryland (01-24-12)
Old 01-24-12, 09:18 PM   #4
smurch74
Lurking Renovator

I just would like to thank you for this information!!!! I am in the middle of researching for making and designing my own super efficient fridge.
1 I plan to incorporate super insulating by making my own cabinet.
2 I plan on using the outside air to cool in the winter(i live in Canada so should be 4 to 5 months of free cooling )
3 I plan on putting a small door in the regular door for access to milk and other commonly used items to help limit cold air escaping.

and now thanks to this thread i plan on moving the hdc into the crawl space.
if anybody has any other other suggestions i am open to anything crazy or not seeing as most of mine usually are
smurch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 01:31 AM   #5
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Remember that if you move the coil to the outside, then your fridge will effectively be a heat pump that removes heat from the kitchen. In other words, the refrigerator may use less electricity, but the heating system will need more energy to make up for the heat that the house has lost.

During a heat wave in the summer this is OK, since your fridge will act as a small air conditioner for the kitchen, though at the cost of slightly increased electrical usage.
Old 01-25-12, 07:02 AM   #6
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

In my kitchen heat travels around in circles; my electric stove, refridgerator and window air conditioner are all located in a corner within 6 ft. of each other. I've come home on hot summer days to find my wife cooking or roasting something in the oven, with the AC roaring away. The refridgerator is usually overstuffed, so it is open for extended searches. I can't seem to get her to understand the basic physics of this situation, I think she tunes me out.
I think that this problem is actually fairly representative of the generic attitude many people have- "I want a roast, and I'll just turn the air conditioner up, that's what it's for." They don't want to think past the obvious inefficiencies.
Without dwelling on this too much, I would just like to say that it would be so nice, it would displace some frustration, if I knew that at least some of the "waste" heat from the AC and fridge was being recovered and used, either as water heater preheat, or maybe in the swimming pool 20 ft away!
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 11:10 AM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herlichka View Post
...I would just like to say that it would be so nice, it would displace some frustration, if I knew that at least some of the "waste" heat from the AC and fridge was being recovered and used, either as water heater preheat, or maybe in the swimming pool 20 ft away!
Great idea.

Why fight physics when you can put it to work for you!

In the pie chart at the top of the page, refrigeration and air conditioning power are greater than water heating power... AND then when you consider that the heat energy that is wasted by these units is going to be greater than the electrical energy in, because since the A/C is a heat pump and most likely has a 'waste energy' COP of 2 or better (ditto the refrigerator) ... your pre-heat should be substantial.

If you're going to go to all this trouble, you will want to go for superior insulation for your water heater and your pre-heat tank. Don't neglect to insulate the bottom of the tanks, this is usually overlooked, as most people have the misconception that heat only rises.

What is your plan of action for making this happen?

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-25-12 at 11:27 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 02:49 PM   #8
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

My skill set is minimal when it comes to heat pumps- I am very competant with the theory and the control circuits, but struggle with the gas/plumbing side of the machines, I've never had any direct experience with them. The closest work experience I've had is burying the poly pipe for geo therm systems.
So, for the time being my plan is to suggest that maybe I offer to make dinner, and focus on cold cuts and salads!

I have been given two relatively new window air conditioning units, that have stopped working for one reason or another. I tend to learn easier if I can be "hands on" with equipment, so I want to study them and see how they work, while I read up on them. It may take a while, but I am confident that I will be able to do something with them. By the way, I do enjoy your posts, there always seems to be something that "inspires" me!
Old 01-25-12, 04:33 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
So, for the time being my plan is to suggest that maybe I offer to make dinner, and focus on cold cuts and salads!
You sly fox!

I understand that convection ovens are more efficient for roasting. For home use, the price might never be worth ot on infrequent roasting duty.

Quote:
I have been given two relatively new window air conditioning units, that have stopped working for one reason or another.
I might be able to help you here...
  • Does the unit start at all?
  • Do the fans run?
  • Does the compressor run?
  • Does cool air come out of the front AND does warm air come out of the back?
  • Is the air filter clogged?
  • Is the condenser clogged?

If you want to fix or re-purpose the air conditioner, you will want to start with a working unit.

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
Old 01-26-12, 03:42 PM   #10
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The first machine is 5200 BTU, and I haven't had a chance to look too closely at it. The second machine is also 5200 BTU, and it seems to work, somewhat, just doesn't cool the air much.

I am not sure exactly what I'd like to do with them, I'm kind of thinking that as I get familiar with them an idea will form.

I have to admit, I'm just fascinated with heat pumps. There is always some heat available, somewhere, and there is always some place we can move it to.