EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-12, 01:57 PM   #11
lucerne96
Helper EcoRenovator

They do have minimally insulated versions in German speaking europe

Kirschbaum Köln: Fenster & Rolladen GmbH - Fenster, Haustüren, Rolladen, Markisen, Innentüren & mehr

or google FENSTER ROLLADEN

lucerne96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 02:01 PM   #12
lucerne96
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
How do you close them from the inside?
Some are electric. Ones I am familiar with in Holland & Austria have a small chain (like a bicycle chain) that come out of a slot in the window frame. The chain is circular & loops around a gear mechanism in the window assembly.

Basically, you pull down to roll down the shade, reverse to open it.
Old 06-18-12, 08:50 PM   #13
adwoods13
Lurking Renovator

Hi all I actual work for a German roll shutter manufacturing company in Delaware for the past 11 years, Alutech United - Hurricane Shutters | Storm Protection | Roll and Accordion Shutters | Alutech.com. We make exactly what you all are talking about, we are a German owned company and we are the only company in the states to build a roll shutter for angle and arched openings, I have two roll shutters on my house and I must say I don't know how I lived without them.So great for cutting out that sun that was baking my family room, ask me anything you want to know about them.
adwoods13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adwoods13 For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (06-19-12), lucerne96 (06-19-12)
Old 06-19-12, 08:02 AM   #14
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Love these shutters

I lived in Sohren, Germany while in the Air Force stationed at Hahn Air Base. I worked a rotating shift and when I worked at night, bed time in the morning meant lowering the shutters almost closed so only a small amount of light peeked in. Made it feel just like sleeping at night.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 10:24 AM   #15
lucerne96
Helper EcoRenovator

Are they manually operated or electric?

Any clue on the R or U value of the insulated version?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-12, 07:02 PM   #16
S-F
You Ain't Me

The actual insulation value is probably close to 0 because they aren't air sealed. The fact that they keep the sun out well though is priceless. Can these actually "blackout" a room?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 08:17 PM   #17
adwoods13
Lurking Renovator

Believe it or not the r value is about 2 , we have multiple case studies on this. One of the biggest reason Germany uses them now is because of that . More than half the homes don't have AC, just roll shutters to control the temperature inside the house instead, then the privacy issue is awesome, I believe they have a good fit in America once they get more public. My wife can't live without the shutter in our master bedroom, loves sleeping in
The Following User Says Thank You to adwoods13 For This Useful Post:
Ryland (06-20-12)
Old 07-21-12, 04:29 PM   #18
S-F
You Ain't Me

adwoods13 I would be really interested in learning more about your shutters. How much do they cost, how strong are they, do they really block out all light do you have electric models? Also more information on how the testing is their insulating properties was conducted would be good to know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 08:11 AM   #19
adwoods13
Lurking Renovator

Default shutter info

S-f , to answer some of your questions , the cost really depends on the profile you want . We carry a little over five types ,and each one has a different purpose.Some just for sun protection and other real purpose is for security . But keep in mind you get all the benefits from any type you choose . But a single hung window can range from 250-600 bucks depending on options. And by options i mean types and operator type , so yes there are electric motor options and remote controlled option that tie into smart homes. Then for the insulating properties testing, in short its called a HOT BOX TEST and the report is about 20 pages long. The best thing to do if you want to learn more is go to our website Quality Security Grill, Hurricane Shutters, Security Shutters, Roller Shutters & More at Alutech United | Alutech.com , its full of useful info. Or just keep asking me question , i love to educate people on this product , as i believe it really is a cure all for a lot of problems in modern homes. So if you need anything else let me know.
Old 10-04-12, 07:57 AM   #20
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja Salt View Post
I really like this idea of insulated shutters. I too have a problem of this in winters, but I got a solution to this.
I'd love to hear the solution. I for one think the external shutters are a real good solution, but am open to an attractive alternative solution that is DIY freindly. Tell me more!

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote