EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-14, 04:20 PM   #1
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Putting radiator in front of mini split

Alright . Today . I checked with a sprinkler set it to spray on the mini split coils outside . It dropped the exhaust heat from 115 degrees . To 88 degrees . That was about 20 minutes .Believe it dropped it 400 watts i cant remember. So instead of spraying it in and all over the coils . I want to put a radiator in front of mini split intake and run the cold well water through it to help drop the intake temp and raise efficiency of my mini split . I am on a well. Not city water. Any ideas of ways to do it . For now itd be a open loop . Then i will make it like a closed loop for winter to increase my heating efficiency. Any one got any ideas of how to do it .

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 07:39 PM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Just go to your local pull a part junkyard and grab a radiator the right size out of any newer car. If you want to do a wraparound, grab two. It is amazing how thin and light modern car radiators have become. They're cheap, too .
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 08:36 PM   #3
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Or just use a water to refrigerant heat exchanger. AKA homebrew geothermal system.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 08:40 AM   #4
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Just go to your local pull a part junkyard and grab a radiator the right size out of any newer car. If you want to do a wraparound, grab two. It is amazing how thin and light modern car radiators have become. They're cheap, too .
Thats what i plan on doin and just running a line from the outlet down the hill .

Later when i do one with a closed loop . I want to fix it with some sort of a controller that keeps the temp kinda like the geothermal. Dig the shallow holes and drop down some pipe so durnin the winter i can benifit from a radiator helping keep it a little warmer. And i wont be pumping all that water up from my well
Old 07-01-14, 08:41 AM   #5
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
Or just use a water to refrigerant heat exchanger. AKA homebrew geothermal system.
I
I didnt think there was a way to make a mini split geothermal.
Old 07-01-14, 07:00 PM   #6
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

You would have to void the warranty. If you're thinking about doing a water-source heat pump for the winter, don't do it to your shiny new (expensive) mini-split unit. Grab an ugly (brown or beige box) window unit off craigslist for $50 or less and have your way with it. If you read the manifesto, it's all spelled out in plain english. The knowledge and skills gained from a small-scale project is well worth the time spent. Plus, if you do it right, it will save you even more money than an air-source unit.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 06:56 PM   #7
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
You would have to void the warranty. If you're thinking about doing a water-source heat pump for the winter, don't do it to your shiny new (expensive) mini-split unit. Grab an ugly (brown or beige box) window unit off craigslist for $50 or less and have your way with it. If you read the manifesto, it's all spelled out in plain english. The knowledge and skills gained from a small-scale project is well worth the time spent. Plus, if you do it right, it will save you even more money than an air-source unit.
At the moment . I dont plan on fooling with a window unit . I plan on just using the mini split with a radiator to be basically like geothermal . Im hopeing one day theyll someone will come up with a geothermal ductless unit with inverter . For now i am thinkin i can benifit a good bit just with a radiator on the outside of the mini split . Im not sure though.