EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-16, 03:26 AM   #1
thediyhubby
Lurking Renovator

Default Milwaukee or Makita cordless drill?

Which brand is better for home renovation projects? Most professionals will say that the Milwaukee Fuel is the best cordless drill available, but is it worth the high price tag? The Makita LXT is almost half the price and used by a lot of pros.
The Milwaukee has more power and features, while the Makita is know for reliability. Which one is better in the long run?

thediyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 10:38 AM   #2
eserv
Lurking Renovator

I love my Milwaukee fuel cordless tools! Tough, compact and powerful!
eserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-16, 08:35 AM   #3
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Unless you are using it everyday for a few hours, the Makita is fine.

I have a 12 V and 18 V Makita and no complaints, 18V dewalt also OK.

30 years ago even the 12 V Makita was the cat's meow, but times have changed.

In the late '40s, pop thought the 1/4" drill you plugged in sure beat the old hand crank!

Also depends on what you are doing - drilling 1-1/2" dia holes thru 20" DF logs I still prefer my old morse taper drive 300 rpm 120vac Sioux drill.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 08:52 PM   #4
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I recently got a Makita, and so far, so good. Battery life on the smaller unit is pretty good. Power and control is better than my ancient corded Makita.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 11:48 AM   #5
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have not owned a cordless drill since 1999.
The battery always dies and replacements seemed to cost 70% to 120% of the cost of a new drill and battery set.
I have 120v powered dewalt hammer drill since 2006 and dewalt side drill since 2010. Both work perfect.
Then I had a 120v cheap skill brand 1/2 inch chuck drill that lasted from 2004 to 2013 when it was stolen, but it was pretty beat up.

Best in the long run is anything with out a battery.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 08:51 AM   #6
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I think you will be fine with either. I have a Hatachi 18v Li-ion that I have had for almost 10 years. My dad got it for me when I was helping him build his house. Not having to haul cords around when you are 30' up on scaffolding was incredibly useful. As of now, one battery is completely shot and the other can only hold a so-so charge, good enough for small projects. If it were my decision I would simply base which drill I bought on which one had the cheaper after market non-OEM replacement batteries (eBay has my battery listed for $22.75, so I will be getting one or two when I start my fence).
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 09:02 AM   #7
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I have owned Makita for many years. It was a very sturdy tool from its introduction to the market years ago. My cordless drills have been indispensable and operated many years without problems. I've had to replace batteries once in about 20 yrs. I uses all these tools in my business in fact all my tools are blue. Many times I've had smoke rolling out and they just keep going.

The Milwaukee now is a fantastic breed of its own. It has many advantages power torque and great battery life. But for just around home you have to be a serious DIYer for the added cost.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 11:48 AM   #8
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

I am using the Dewalt 20vMAX. It seems to work as good as any. For usual home projects I suspect any of those brands will do well. At that point it becomes a matter of which has the tools you will most use around the house.

My mileage and opinion will often vary with mood.
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 02:48 PM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Both manufacturers have their casual use lines and their tough as nails lines. Your modus operandi will dictate what to buy. The casual lines are much cheaper, the tough ones will last much longer.

I prefer tough tools. Such is the road: durable tools last through many projects and the lesser products just make it take longer to get stuff done . If the project is small, it can be done with one battery. I tend to do big, time consuming jobs, so toys tend to die trying to finish the day. I'm with Randen on this one: the old, heavy blue Makita and green Bosch drills (corded or cordless) are what I fall back on when the new, lighter, hotrod lithium ones go south.

A tool you can rely on forever is hard to justify economically. How much do I make doing my day job? What is my time worth to fuss with this and that? How will this tool affect the build quality? YMMV. When I climb that ladder to drive hundreds of fasteners at heights, or crawl into that access door to drill holes in the downlow, I pack the brute.

Last edited by jeff5may; 10-18-16 at 11:37 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote