EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-14, 06:06 PM   #41
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

That'll do the job. Just had to break the vacuum

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 09:58 AM   #42
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I had just vented my tankless water heater vent from PVC to my old steel vent through the roof. I did this just until it was warmer and dry out then I was going to finish the job right. This weekend it was warm enough to finish. I have 15’ horizontal 3" PVC vent that I ran down hill some then I put in a 90 deg with a drain. At this point I plumed out the condensate so this would not all go back to the water heater.

I had probably going up and down the ladder 6-7 times. Then on the last time I went up on the roof I painted the white 3” PVC black. I was done and glad to be done. My ladder was on my deck about 10’ up and it leaned against aluminum gutter. The gutter bent some and the ladder lost its footing. Down it went with me going for a ride with a sudden stop on the wood deck.

I skinned my right leg bruised the backs of both arms and my right side/foot. It was the first time in my life I had a ladder give out and hopefully the last time. It could have been lots worse but I will be more careful next time. If I would have just taken a little more time coming down the ladder I would not be typing this. It happened so fast no real time to do anything but land. Shoulda coulda woulda!

On the bright side the condensate issue is completely solved. I filled the garden tub to soak in hot water and all condensate flowed out nicely. This was a very good test.

I special ordered this 3” PVC 90 deg with drain from Grainger their warehouse is 3-4 miles down the road but they had to transfer it to their store 20 min away so I could pick it up. At least there is no shipping charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1WKT2_AS01.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4180  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-24-14 at 11:34 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 10:11 AM   #43
Daox
Administrator

Doh, glad to hear you're alright though. I know a guy at my church who tore his ACL coming down off a ladder...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 01:17 PM   #44
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I had just vented my tankless water heater vent from PVC to my old steel vent through the roof. I did this just until it was warmer and dry out then I was going to finish the job right. This weekend it was warm enough to finish. I have 15’ horizontal 3" PVC vent that I ran down hill some then I put in a 90 deg with a drain. At this point I plumed out the condensate so this would not all go back to the water heater.

I had probably going up and down the ladder 6-7 times. Then on the last time I went up on the roof I painted the white 3” PVC black. I was done and glad to be done. My ladder was on my deck about 10’ up and it leaned against aluminum gutter. The gutter bent some and the ladder lost its footing. Down it went with me going for a ride with a sudden stop on the wood deck.

I skinned my right leg bruised the backs of both arms and my right side/foot. It was the first time in my life I had a ladder give out and hopefully the last time. It could have been lots worse but I will be more careful next time. If I would have just taken a little more time coming down the ladder I would not be typing this. It happened so fast no real time to do anything but land. Shoulda coulda woulda!

On the bright side the condensate issue is completely solved. I filled the garden tub to soak in hot water and all condensate flowed out nicely. This was a very good test.

I special ordered this 3” PVC 90 deg with drain from Grainger their warehouse is 3-4 miles down the road but they had to transfer it to their store 20 min away so I could pick it up. At least there is no shipping charge.
All I can say is "ouch" and don't do that again. Working on roofs for a living, I can honestly say that I have never fallen off a ladder (a couple of roofs, yes, but not a ladder).
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:19 PM   #45
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Last year I installed 40 solar panels completely by myself and never fell. My dad and I built a lean-to and I installed 14 more panels. Crazy this happened. I really did not per say fall off the ladder legs went out and surfed that bad boy to the wooden deck. The top of the ladder scraped down the side of the house destroying 2 pieces of vinyl siding along the way. But I wouldn’t say I was hanging 10.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-24-14 at 09:48 PM..
Old 03-24-14, 05:47 PM   #46
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
Default Tee Hee hEE

Quote:
build.com sent me the wrong remote so I sent it back.
I found the remote I needed new on EBay for $70 shipped (best offer.) this was a better price.

For the long wiring I used phone cable. The phone guy had put in a temporary phone line until they could put it under ground. I asked if I could have the wire he said sure they would just toss in in the garbage anyway. So I put some of it to good use.

I now have control of my tankless hot water heater in my master bath room. We will bump up the hot water for showers then put it back down after the shower. This will be so much simpler than going out to the garage to adjust the temp then I forget to turn it back.

I got this Digital Inspection Camera for XMas. ($59.99 Black Friday)
Inspection Camera - Save on this Digital Inspection Camera
It worked great to help fish the wiring up through the wall. Since the shower is behind that wall it was very hard to fish the wire up through the wall but with this handy tool it was very easy.

I had a camera almost exactly like that when I was doing DirecTv service calls a few years back. All the other techs laughed at me and wouldn't let me play their reindeer games. Then the route boss started noticing how quick I was getting through some tough jobs. When he saw I could get through a floor/wall fish in under 1/2 hour, he poured them on me. That camera and some fish sticks probably made me an extra ten thousand dollars that summer.

Put that one in the "secret tool" box. It's a keeper.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-14, 11:29 AM   #47
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

This is my first natural gas bill without any gas heat usage. It is the lowest bill I ever have had.
Meter fee is $7.50 total bill was $15.61 we just used 6 units. We have intelligent hot water recirculation.

The smart hot water recirculation is working out really well for us. It is a great compromise of energy savings and having hot water when you need it.

It also normally provides hot water much faster that a tank without smart water recirculation.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-17-14 at 11:37 AM..
Old 11-25-14, 09:44 AM   #48
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
It power vents so the blower motor has the biggest power use.

Yes it uses 89 watts in operation and 4.2 watts in standby. 175 watts in freeze protection mode but it is in a insulated garage so it should not have to use the freeze protection mode.
Are the 89W and 4.2W numbers rated or measured?
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-14, 09:50 AM   #49
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

No I got those from the documentation but I can take actual measurements and post them.
We have been very happy with this tankless heater.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Servicetech (11-25-14)
Old 11-25-14, 10:41 AM   #50
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
No I got those from the documentation but I can take actual measurements and post them.
We have been very happy with this tankless heater.
You will most likely find actual power use to be much less than rated. rated is the MAXIMUM it can draw. I seriosuly doubt the ECM fan uses 89W unless it has a LOT of vent to push through when the WH is on it's max output.

Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Servicetech For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (11-29-14), poorman (11-08-16)