Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-29-13, 12:44 AM   #181
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Just a little update. Before getting the floors all done, I wanted to get painting done...
I've been thinking so much about your remodel, I almost feel like I thought all your PEX into place!

But seriously, were there any issues that you encountered with the plates or PEX?

Are you still considering some kind of pour-in heat conductive material for the curved parts? The reason I suggested mortar is that it has a high sand content, and I think that would give it reasonable conductivity... and it's thrifty.

Good work.

-AC

Old 12-30-13, 08:28 AM   #182
Daox
Administrator

Haha, thats pretty funny. I wish I could think the rest of this project done.

The only problem I've encountered so far is the lack of necessary tools to staple down the aluminum heat spreaders. I tried a hammer/swing stapler and it just didn't work out well. Then I tried a hand stapler, not enough power. I will probably try a electric stapler tonight, but I don't think that'll cut the mustard either.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/tools/...spreaders.html

So, I am going to try a pneumatic stapler.

That being said, I haven't actually put down the heat spreaders yet or the tubing. The pictures you see are just test fits. When I cut the plywood strips, I did leave a generous gap between them for the heat spreaders. Still, there will definitely be some cutting involved here and there, at the very least to get the correct lengths.

For the curved parts, I am going to see how much of a pain it is to cut the aluminum pieces. However, I probably will end up putting something in there. Who knows, maybe I'll do a combination? I'd really rather not loose any heat conducting area. With the 3 parallel PEX lines, that area is not insignificant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 08:37 AM   #183
Daox
Administrator

One more thing I've been thinking about is how to make all 3 parallel tubing runs the same length? If they're unequal, the flow will be unequal. According to my CAD layout, each line is about 143 feet. So, if I'm off a foot or two, is that going to unbalance the flow that much? I'm thinking no, but would appreciate any feedback.

&
Old 12-30-13, 08:42 AM   #184
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I don't think you would be able to discern the difference. IMHO, each of the three runs of the same size Pex should have the same heat carrying capacity per foot, so any difference a foot or two +/- makes is a non-issue.

Last edited by gasstingy; 12-30-13 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: left a word out
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasstingy For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-30-13)
Old 12-30-13, 01:14 PM   #185
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
One more thing I've been thinking about is how to make all 3 parallel tubing runs the same length? If they're unequal, the flow will be unequal. According to my CAD layout, each line is about 143 feet. So, if I'm off a foot or two, is that going to unbalance the flow that much? I'm thinking no, but would appreciate any feedback.
The difference in length will cause a difference in fluid resistance, but it is a linear change.

So, if you are different by 2 feet, the change will be 100 x (2/143) = 1.4%

That's a very small variation.

Therefore, not to worry.

-AC
Daox (12-30-13)
Old 02-08-14, 03:04 PM   #186
Daox
Administrator

What has been holding up the floor progress is what you see below. Yay, its done!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140207_192641.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	3981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140207_192702.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	3982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140207_192749.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	3983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140207_192754.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	3984  

&
Old 02-08-14, 03:11 PM   #187
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Very impressive! Congratulations on the good work you've done. The end looks like its in sight, at least in the office. Other things always seem to come up, I know.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 08:06 AM   #188
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Looks good! I know you're proud to be that much closer to finishing this room so you can move on to other projects!
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 09:43 PM   #189
Daox
Administrator

The bulk of the next step I got done tonight. All of the full size aluminum heat spreaders have been stapled down. It was a pretty quick job. With just me doing it, it only took an hour. I estimate another hour to cut a bunch of the heat spreaders to fill in as much as I can. After that I will play around with AC's idea about using mortar to fill in the remaining area. As you can see, the areas where the heat spreader can't reach is quite a bit with the 3 parallel pex lines being run.

For those looking for specifics, I use a pneumatic stapler. No other stapler I tried worked. I did have to run my pressure around 55 psi to prevent from blowing through the aluminum. It went very smoothly after I got the pressure set. I only had to hammer in about 3 staples. I left only about 1/8" between the heat spreaders length wise. When I laid the heat spreaders in the groove, I shifted them to one side (consistently for the whole room), and stapled that side. This helped give room to play since my plates were so close together. Only in a couple spots did my plates get really close, so there should be room for them to expand when they heat up. With the grooves cut extra wide, there was enough play to align things when needed. I did use a small length of pex tubing to test the fit after putting in some of the heat spreaders. But, the aluminum plates aren't so thick that they won't give to allow for some misalignment when the tube exits one spreader and enters the next.

Just starting out:

All done (for now):

Here is what the bend area looks like. There will be some plates cut to length and fit in there. However, I'll have to figure out something for the radiused areas. There is too much surface area to loose there to not do anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140214_201230.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	4019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140214_210504.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	4020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140214_210524.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	4021  

&
Old 02-15-14, 11:39 AM   #190
mrd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
However, I'll have to figure out something for the radiused areas. There is too much surface area to loose there to not do anything.
Maybe an aluminum paint, something like this: Attic Radiant Barrier Paint, Wall Vapor Retarder Coating

mrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, diy, flooring, hydronic, remodel, superinsulate