EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-19, 12:17 PM   #21
Daox
Administrator

Nice find! We'd like to see some pictures if you have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 06:38 AM   #22
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Green Room (formerly walls were green)

Hallway

Dining room is a mess
zorander6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 06:44 AM   #23
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

The white paint on the floor in the green room is water based it appears so when I sand the house it should come right up. In the left door of the hallway you can see the fake wood floor they put in, it looks like it sits right on top of the hardwood but have to move a bunch of furniture which means I need to finish the green room and the library.

Pulling that carpet up was pretty disgusting, never want carpet in another house.

Edit: I lied about the car, I was finally talked into buying a more fuel efficient vehicle (price was good) but still have my truck for off roading and hauling sheet-rock or whatever else I need to haul. With as many miles as the truck has (300,000) need to have a daily driver that won't break down suddenly (hopefully.)
Old 03-04-19, 08:37 AM   #24
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Got to the library this weekend. There is a madness to my method:
Before (dirty nasty carpets, we hates it precious)

After:

Still have the living room carpet to remove and the laminate from the master bedroom then need to rent a roll off or find somewhere to recycle the old carpet.
Old 03-07-19, 09:52 AM   #25
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorander6 View Post
Got to the library this weekend. There is a madness to my method:
Before (dirty nasty carpets, we hates it precious)

After:

Still have the living room carpet to remove and the laminate from the master bedroom then need to rent a roll off or find somewhere to recycle the old carpet.
I called my garbage hauler and they put me on the list of houses to stop by their rear loading garbage truck that they roll through the route every two weeks. I think it was $20 to get added to the route and the cost was like $4 for each 40 gallon or less garbage bag and a certain amount per yard of trash. I got rid of 4 garbage bags full of stuff, a couch, 2 computer chairs, and a bunch of torn apart IKEA discards(old roommate abandonded a bunch of stuff for under $100. I imagine it would have been about $40 for the fee for them to show up and $20 to haul a room's worth of carpet. Call your local garbage hauler before you consider getting a dumpster because I almost paid hundreds for a dumpster but ended up paying $80. Get the pile as tight as you can and get a length, width, height measurement to give them and see if you get a reasonable estimate to haul it.

I was also told by the actual trash hauler guy that if I could get things down to a load the size of the garbage cart, I could bribe most of their guys $5 to take each additional trash can load of stuff if I was there to toss it in the trash can, and they'd just run the machine to dump it in the truck from the cart. ..so you if you are around when those guys are coming by, it might be worth asking. If you are at work or otherwise away, it's probably just worth calling the hauler.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 10:45 AM   #26
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I called my garbage hauler and they put me on the list of houses to stop by their rear loading garbage truck that they roll through the route every two weeks. I think it was $20 to get added to the route and the cost was like $4 for each 40 gallon or less garbage bag and a certain amount per yard of trash. I got rid of 4 garbage bags full of stuff, a couch, 2 computer chairs, and a bunch of torn apart IKEA discards(old roommate abandonded a bunch of stuff for under $100. I imagine it would have been about $40 for the fee for them to show up and $20 to haul a room's worth of carpet. Call your local garbage hauler before you consider getting a dumpster because I almost paid hundreds for a dumpster but ended up paying $80. Get the pile as tight as you can and get a length, width, height measurement to give them and see if you get a reasonable estimate to haul it.

I was also told by the actual trash hauler guy that if I could get things down to a load the size of the garbage cart, I could bribe most of their guys $5 to take each additional trash can load of stuff if I was there to toss it in the trash can, and they'd just run the machine to dump it in the truck from the cart. ..so you if you are around when those guys are coming by, it might be worth asking. If you are at work or otherwise away, it's probably just worth calling the hauler.
Wish mine was that cheap, it's 80$ per large item and only one large item per week allowed. I have a couch, loveseat, and chair I want to get rid of (240$) and then the carpet which might take two weeks to get rid of unless I cut it down into smaller portions.

Last couch I got rid of I tore it apart and used one of the cannister's to throw pieces away for no extra charge but it was a lot of time and work. Took almost 3 weeks to get rid of it all.

Plus a bunch of other old junk that I want to clean out of the basement. If I'm not using it and it's beyond repair I want to get rid of it.
Old 04-20-19, 06:08 AM   #27
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Now doing laundry every other week (and still less than before) and on Tuesday my refrigerator decided to die. It was a 22 cf refrigerator with freezer on top. Since it was an emergency I bought a cheap 3.3 cf refrigerator from the hardware store. Previously I was using an average of 14 kwh/day. Last couple days have averaged 9 kwh/day. Curious to see if this trend continues.

The question is can I live with a super small refrigerator or will it drive me up the wall to the point of buying a larger one. Only time will tell.

I still have the 50 odd year old deep freeze that I'd been planning on getting rid of. Sadly it won't go for the time being since the little fridge doesn't have a freezer.

All but the living room carpet is gone. Need to get rid of the couches next and start tearing that up. Then I can rent a floor sander and sand the living daylights out of the floor and refinish them.
Old 05-09-19, 02:35 PM   #28
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Electric usage this last billing cycle was less than 400 KwH. Lowest I've ever had. Unfortunately by the end of the month I'll be putting the window ac's back in since I haven't gotten to where I could replace the central ac. Still considering a mini-split but they are ugly and I want to sell the house so not sure the next owners would appreciate the look. Regardless am probably going to have to replace the furnace as well. If I get the job I just did the first interviewed for at the rate I'm asking some projects will speed up. If not I'll just keep crawling along. Still trying to get my truck fixed as well which is holding things up.
The Following User Says Thank You to zorander6 For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-05-19)
Old 05-24-19, 09:12 AM   #29
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Finally replacing the sliding glass door, window in the living room which is huge, and the kitchen window which has needed to be replaced for years. Spending a little more than I wanted to on them but hopefully they will be worth the cost. Can't afford to do the rest of the house yet but hopefully in a year or two I'll have the cash saved up to do some more. Just replacing the sliding glass door should help keep the house cool without AC considerably.

Still haven't put the window AC's back in. With all the rain we've been having I haven't really needed it though there have been a couple days that were warmer than I like. Hoping I can last out another couple weeks without the AC's.
Old 06-05-19, 09:07 PM   #30
zorander6
Lurking Renovator

Gave in to the dark side yesterday and put the window AC back in the bedroom. Currently it's the only room that is cooled and I keep the door mostly closed (because cats are annoying.) Also had to turn the dehumidifier back on because of all the rain. 91 F today, supposed to rain tonight and be cooler for a couple days so might be able to turn the window AC off. It's still as hot outside as it is inside so will have to leave the AC on tonight to be able to sleep.

Looks like I'll be right at 500 Kwh this month. Depends on how much I need to run the AC to sleep.