EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-16, 06:22 PM   #71
Fionn
Lurking Renovator

No problem, I wasn't sure you had realised that.
I guess if you can use a good filter before the heat exchanger you might have a chance.
Really I think given your budget constraints that you are better off going with an air source unit for now.
Focus your efforts on the house insulation for now. 100mm of polystyrene isn't enough, I'd aim for at least 200mm along with the good airtightness that others have mentioned.

Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-16, 09:59 PM   #72
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I don't know exactly what you call cheap, but I call this cheap:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1482378421746
Only $110 brand new, shipped to my door.

Last edited by jeff5may; 12-22-16 at 06:30 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 08:28 PM   #73
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

For some reason in Romania these cost like 5 times more even thou a wage in Romania is 5 times smaller than in USA I really can t understand how can they ask for 500 USD when someone with high studies and a good job earns that much in a month ... that s pretty unfair, you guys can do such more there with your buying power compared to the situation in my country.

PS: I need to find somewhere online to buy just the boards for a VFD as a light package, do you have any idea were from ?
b420ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 01:31 PM   #74
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Yet another open-ended question to answer: how are your electronics and tinkering skill levels? This goes right along with soldering and brazing skills. Improvising custom components that are durable is not for the faint at heart. It takes a lot of confidence and mental toughness and even more time and effort. Homemade stuff tends to rip, ravel, rust, bust, and turn to dust while you watch. I'm just warning you to be prepared for the inevitable. Because this is exactly the direction you are headed.
Old 12-23-16, 03:12 PM   #75
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

Before retiring my father was an engineer in Polytechnic University of Bucharest for most of his life. Since I was a little kid I knew how to solder electronics and how a resistor or a capacitor or a transistor or a transformer works but even so I never got to much in to it, just very small projects like converting microwave transformers to spot welders , working with ready made PCB kits like transformers, sound amplifiers, radio emitters and some other small hacks, so I can say that I can fallow steps as long as are documented enough and don t require other advance circuit design skills.
First time I ve got electrocuted at 220V was when I tried to fix a mechanically temporized extension socket we used for the TV before year 2000....I was about 12-14 years old at that time
About my father I can say that I remember now that wen I was little I used to go at the university were he had a big shop with mills and all kinds of tools and about 7-8 people working for him for all of his projects, about 18 years ago I ve seen there a human shaped robotic arm , drive by servos , that had also some sorts of fingers to catch things with, the thing was as big as a human arm and looked very heavy, I wish I wasen t a 12 years old dude at that time and preocupied more to improve my driving skills on the streets inside the campus

PS: I ve found an amazing video on youtube and I must say just watch it:

Last edited by b420ady; 12-23-16 at 05:02 PM..
Old 12-23-16, 08:17 PM   #76
stevehull
Steve Hull

b420

Stop - do not go further . . ..

Get your father involved in this project. It will require brazing which is not the kind of "soldering" you do with electronic circuits. Brazing is with very high temp gas and brazing rods, not a low temperature soldering "gun" and lead/tin solder.

Go back and read what people have done. Randen, Jeff May and AC have all done a lot with small compressors that use R-22.

Forget the three phase systems - just get too complicated. Keep it simple stupid is an English expression called KISS, that is very important.

The electronics behind a simple gt heat pump are simple. Basically off and on switch and a fan relay.

Start by brazing copper tubing and if you are good at it I apologize. But it is a skill that is very different from low temperature soldering. And brazing is something that MUST be done with heat pump systems.

R-22 is a very easy gas to work with and to get. It is basically propane.

To repeat KISS . . . . .

Steve
Old 12-23-16, 11:20 PM   #77
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

That kid in the video you posted sure has done a lot of cool and amazing projects. Thanks for sharing that!
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 01:36 PM   #78
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

I will involve my father as much as I can but he lives 50 km away from me and also he is pretty old now (born during WW2) and his eyesight and dexterity are not as good as before and he also did not work with refrigeration systems before.

Geo , the guy in the video is not the average hacker , if you look more in his videos you you see that he also made a nuclear reactor and now he is going for space technology development.

Another thing I want to share with you all is a very important book I keep reading for years by now. At the moment is over 3000 pages big and it keeps growing as its updated every 2 weeks or so.
This is one of the most important books for this planet and people on it except the big corporations involved in the energetic sector and oil/gas extraction.
The book can be downloaded for free online here:

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/PJKbook.pdf

And if you want to watch the update list to see what`s new on every edition go here:

eBook updates

I think this book should be read by any hacker out there and maybe one day this systems will start to be replicated in as many places as possible and reach the people that really need them at an advantageous price.
I really wish you read at least the introduction chapter and browse the rest of it as much as you can, for some it might be life changing.
Please let me know what you think about it .
Old 12-25-16, 02:13 PM   #79
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

If that book captivate you please go also on the main website page at http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/ and scroll down and you will find a big download list for other very important books in this domain.
The best idea to save all those books at once it will be to use a free website copier software like HTTrack from HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL) and download the whole website and books on your computer.

Its enough lecture there for a few years of reading and a lifetime of experimenting.

PS: I ve tried to update my copy of this website with HTTrack and apparently it does not work anymore there, but I ve found another free software that works named Cyotek WebCopy, here is the download link:
http://www.cyotek.com/downloads/info...py-1.1.1.4.exe

Last edited by b420ady; 12-25-16 at 03:30 PM..
Old 12-31-16, 01:34 PM   #80
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Sounds like you got lost chasing unicorns. Once you get your feet back on the ground, let us know which direction your heating project is going.

There is enough amazing real stuff in this world to captivate my attention. Heat pumps are one of those devices the free energy energy classify as "over unity" that is real. Of all that extravagantly claimed crap the free energy quacks write about, a teensy weensy tiny little nanobit of it holds its own in reality. There are products using those principles being sold (and in use) today, such as phase-change rechargeable glove warmers, solar LED street lights, dyson vortex vacuum cleaners, stirling engine fans, and the like.

I value my spare time enough to focus on building contraptions that actually work. But then again, who am I to say that unicorns aren't real in some strange plane of existence? I just haven't seen one in real life.

Last edited by jeff5may; 12-31-16 at 02:05 PM..