EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-14, 06:12 PM   #21
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Is anyone aware of replacement LED bulbs for travel trailers (5'th wheels)? My son lives in one of these while in grad school and it is full of these tiny incandescent bulbs that have a base much like that of the bulb in a car brake light.

The bulbs have a glass bulb about the size of a large acorn. The base has two small cylindrical prongs sticking out sideways that allow it to be inserted into a receptacle and when twisted, it locks in place. The insulated base has a center spot for one conductor and the brass base shell is the neutral.

In any case, they burn out quickly, are incredibly hot to the touch and are expensive at the RV stores.

Because they are small, an LED replacement would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Steve,
I just picked one from a search:

LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs

I did a search for "LED brake bulb replacement"

Rob

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:15 PM   #22
Incidental Damage
Indidental Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Is anyone aware of replacement LED bulbs for travel trailers (5'th wheels)? My son lives in one of these while in grad school and it is full of these tiny incandescent bulbs that have a base much like that of the bulb in a car brake light.

The bulbs have a glass bulb about the size of a large acorn. The base has two small cylindrical prongs sticking out sideways that allow it to be inserted into a receptacle and when twisted, it locks in place. The insulated base has a center spot for one conductor and the brass base shell is the neutral.

In any case, they burn out quickly, are incredibly hot to the touch and are expensive at the RV stores.

Because they are small, an LED replacement would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sounds like a fairly common 5 or 10W single-contact tail lamp bulb. Sure, LEDs are easily available for those but I cannot give you an online or B&M source from Ireland, as I don't know what's in your locality.
In the US market these bulbs have a code which describes their contact and pin layout.
Incidental Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 10:32 PM   #23
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

A standard single filament brake light bulb is an 1156. You should be able to remove the bulb and get the number off of it.
Old 01-24-14, 08:11 PM   #24
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

We on the cusp of having LED bulbs for everything, or we have passed over the Cusp and do have a LED for everything or almost.. all though like Servicetech mentioned on a similar thread that they can be expensive right now.

Speaking of which $ Harley has LED headlights for their bikes , you do pay for it.

Daymaker LED Headlamp Price: $729.95

Daymaker LED Headlamp-67700109 | Headlights | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HD-DAYMAKER.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	3910  
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 03:02 AM   #25
Incidental Damage
Indidental Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
We on the cusp of having LED bulbs for everything, or we have passed over the Cusp and do have a LED for everything or almost.. all though like Servicetech mentioned on a similar thread that they can be expensive right now.

Speaking of which $ Harley has LED headlights for their bikes , you do pay for it.

Daymaker LED Headlamp Price: $729.95
I have a pair of relatively narrow-beam 27W LED worklamps on my bike, which come on with high beam. The absolutely turn night into day and cost about a tenth for the pair as H-D want for one. Mind you, they're no good for low beam as there's too much beam spread/scatter and would cause dazzle.
I think the big thing (apart from the price) about the H-D product is, that it looks neat, is powerful enough on its own and fits conventional mores of bike lighting.
Me? I don't care what it looks like - on the front on my fairing are mounted two 4"x4" square black lamps and the normal headlamp - and it works, which is what really matters.
In terms of light output, I have 2160lm x2 (the LEDs) + 1100lm (the high beam) hitting the road, so that's 5420 lumens and the bike alternator isn't stressed, at all.

Incidental Damage is offline   Reply With Quote