Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-14, 06:12 PM   #1
osolemio
Hong Kong

Default Combining A/C or dehumidifier with ground heat storage

For almost five years now, I'm still working on my massive renovation project, which for monetary and personal reasons and for lack of the parts I need, have been dormant for a while.

Using seasonal heat storage (under the house), foundation heating circuit, and more than 1000 USG of extra water heat storage tanks - besides the underfloor heating. There is also rain water harvesting (2000 USG) and drain water heat recovery. Solar panels (hybrid PV-T) are not yet in place, as the ones I want aren't ready for sale yet, and most of the heat stores aren't connected yet (except the main water buffer heat tank and underfloor heating).

In this place (Scandinavia), cooling isn't normally necessary, as temperatures rarely get above 85F. But some days are a bit humid, and with neither dehumidification, nor A/C, it's not too comfortable at times.

So I was thinking of hacking an air condition unit (air/air with external evaporator/cooler), or even a dehumidifier, so that the cooling of the unit would be routed to one or more of the many heat storage facilities.

Imagine cooling off the air, while storing the excess heat for later use?

If I bought a simple dehumidifier (or a few), and managed to route the heat from the evaporator/cooler, into the heat storage, then I would have myself a little air con unit. The real simple ones, with a manual dial of humidity, could be controlled by my system so when demand is there, a relay opens the power to the unit, and it starts dehumidifying (and cooling) without any fancy digital control to stop the unit, while at the same time transferring heat into my system.

I am a bit wary of hacking into the cooling liquid of an air con / dehumidifier, so I was thinking of some kind of heat exchange. If I could route some kind of tube or pipe around the exit of the compressor to cool the liquid - even before it hits the "radiator"?

It must have been done before - any advise here?