EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-08, 01:34 PM   #1
SVOboy
Administrator

Default How to save money on your heating bill?

Try not having heating! I'm staying in San Francisco with a friend briefly, and though it's not that cold outside yet (15C right now), it's just a little brisk because the apartment lacks heating, .

I may be crazy, but I think it's great. Would never work at school since it's like -2C right now, but for around here it's not bad, and you can always supplement a space heater.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 03:56 PM   #2
GenKreton
Lurking Renovator

Send a message via AIM to GenKreton

I was thinking for places that have large living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms, etc, it may be more economical to use space heaters in bedrooms at night since everyone sleeps with their doors shut. Half out apartment is spaced not lived in and we're letting the temperature drop to 55 now while we're not here.
GenKreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 11:52 PM   #3
mohsinkhalid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
I was thinking for places that have large living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms, etc, it may be more economical to use space heaters in bedrooms at night since everyone sleeps with their doors shut. Half out apartment is spaced not lived in and we're letting the temperature drop to 55 now while we're not here.

It would be great for nights but not for the mornings. I have experienced this in India where we had a huge house but the heating system wont work because of electricity shut down from government to try to over come electric load. All the rooms will get cold and you would literally have to spend the whole day under blankets.
Old 02-07-11, 08:37 AM   #4
morphector
Lurking Renovator

you could also buy an electric blanket, so you'll need less or no heating at night and still be really comfortable.

I bought one for our bed as my gf found our bedroom too cold at night. Never heard that it's cold afterward.
morphector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 02:50 AM   #5
Arkaneinc
Lurking Renovator

currently in my home (bank repo) I have no heat or A/C. No insulation either. Home was built in 1956. Where I live it gets down to the high 20's to low 30's some nights and in summer it gets to 110-120. Central Air/Heat and insulation are on the list but you can make do without them. I have never had A/C in 26 years of being on this planet and have only had heat for 2 years. My parents didn't believe in either lol.

Arkaneinc is offline   Reply With Quote