EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-16, 12:45 PM   #31
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Also consider WHY gas is at historic low prices now. My theory is that many mid-east oil companies are selling at extreme losses now to bankrupt the American oil companies that recently made big investments to up their output. Last year they started exporting again. When the American companies default on their loans, look out. There is only one place this can go. A big rebound in a year or two. I expect at least $5/gal or more, much more in a decade.

hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 01:40 PM   #32
stevehull
Steve Hull

Hamster,

Sadly, I agree with you on the future price of gasoline and other oil derived products (plastics, fertilizers, etc).

We have already seen gasoline at ~ $4+ a gallon here in Oklahoma a few summers ago. Within a short time, I expect the price to blow through that and be in the $6-7/gallon range in the states.

Even higher, if the mid-east has another serious conflict.

Those price levels will make the EV market simply explode. I hope we are both wrong and that more moderate prices will prevail.

But sadly, I don't think we are wrong . . . . history indicates we are spot on.

Steve
Old 01-21-16, 02:09 PM   #33
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Agree with temporary low pricing and the relationship to our oil industry.

I think they are trying to drive the electric vehicles away by being able to say that EVs cost as much to operate as a fuel efficient ICE vehicle.

I also think it is a great thing if it kills the fracking industry at the same time. More so because it is the Federal Government {as in we who pay taxes} that will have to pick up the bill to fix the leaking wells that are contaminating our groundwater.

At some point, they'll tighten the supply and oil prices will skyrocket. Those who have a high fuel economy ICE and especially those with electrified transport will be in far better shape than those who traded fuel efficiency for a full size pickup truck when the petroleum prices fell. All will feel some pinch though, because IMHO, we move far to much freight long distances with over the road trucks when we should be building a far more expansive rail network and moving long haul freight by (hopefully electrified) rail.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 02:19 PM   #34
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I think current oil prices have more to do with global politics , than other things .

I too think it will go up sooner or latter . I just hope the low oil prices do not trigger WWIII . It has put Russia in a real financial bind ! That is what I read , anyway .

You are 100% correct , your Hybrids and EV's look better , the more $$$ oil / gasoline becomes . Especially if you are charging them via PV .

As far as gas mileage goes , let me leave you some food for thought . We bought a 1989 Cavalier in 1990 . It had been on the lot for a year . So , we got a good deal on it .

It had a 4 cylinder and automatic w/ A/C . Highway driving with the 55 mph speed limit , it would get 35 mpg in the winter & 30 mpg summer with the A/C running . ( Passing someone with the A/C running was some what of an adventure . )

Fast forward to the 2015 Sonic . 1.8 L 4 cylinder , which is a little smaller than the Caviler , DOHC , variable valve timing & intake runner length ( I think ) . Multi port FI , instead of TBFI , tons more computer processing capability .

The Sonic gets about 24 - 26 mpg in town , winter is better than summer . 34 - 37 mpg highway , 75 mph w/ A/C . This is an improvement from 1989 , but with all the technology that they have added , is it really that much better ?

We have owned about 4 - 5 V-6 GM cars that would do 30 + mpg highway , in larger / heavier cars .

I know a manual transmission car would probably get a little better mpg . But my Wife can not drive a manual . I tried , once to teach her . I am not going to try to repeat that endeavor . :-(

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-16, 02:38 PM   #35
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Fracking . Absolutely the last thing I would ever worry about . Oil formations are thousands of feet deeper than potable water formations w/ many layers / formations separating them . Impervious formations . That is why the oil & gas are trapped where they are . In " pockets " large enough to be commercial viable quantities .

None of the anti's ever mention this . This falls into the politically correct mania , along with the global warning panic . Oh , did you know that 20th century man is responsible for the extinction of the unicorns . Oh my !

Now , I have family in Oklahoma . Oklahoma has been having earthquakes the last few years . Some blame them on faking . I do not know . I do no we have not been having earthquakes around our area .

You can believe what you wish .

God bless
Wyr
Old 01-21-16, 09:40 PM   #36
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Fracking . Absolutely the last thing I would ever worry about . Oil formations are thousands of feet deeper than potable water formations w/ many layers / formations separating them . Impervious formations . That is why the oil & gas are trapped where they are . In " pockets " large enough to be commercial viable quantities .

None of the anti's ever mention this . This falls into the politically correct mania , along with the global warning panic . Oh , did you know that 20th century man is responsible for the extinction of the unicorns . Oh my !

Now , I have family in Oklahoma . Oklahoma has been having earthquakes the last few years . Some blame them on faking . I do not know . I do no we have not been having earthquakes around our area .

You can believe what you wish .

God bless
Wyr
I wish I had such a rosy view of the current situation and the future of the USA (and the world in general) as you do. Just because things are looking great today does not mean they will stay that way. In fact, the better things stay in good shape, the higher the odds stack up against us all. In the not so distant past, changes took a fair amount of time to come about. Today, changes for the worse tend ti happen suddenly and severely.

The doomsday preppers and the anti-frackers are not the kind of radical sorts of people the mass media portrays them to be. Many of these individuals are normal people who have had intimate, life altering experiences. Rather than ignore the obvious, they have learnt the hard way and have developed the kind of resolve you just can't get by reading about these subjects. It is the same kind of resolve that war veterans get on a live battlefield. It would be best to respect these individuals, they may be saving you later.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-16, 12:03 AM   #37
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I have nothing bad to say about preppers .

I absolutely know the world , as we know it , is coming to an end . I absolutely do not know when .

God bless
Wyr
Old 01-28-16, 05:44 PM   #38
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

More good Bolt info
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Review - First Drive - AutoGuide.com News

A few quotes that I liked.

It has 60 kWh lithium-ion battery

The electric motor is good for 266 lb-ft of instant torque and 200 hp, making this Bolt feel like a quiet little hot hatch off the line.

240-volt charger, and can charge up to 25 miles of range per hour of charge. The Bolt will also offer an optional DC Fast Charging system using the industry standard SAE Combo connector. Using DC Fast Charging, the Bolt EV battery can be charged for up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-16, 07:56 PM   #39
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The first preproduction Bolts have come off the line.

The Future Of EV: All-Electric 2017 Bolt | Chevrolet

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 03-25-16 at 08:53 AM..
Old 04-12-16, 04:39 PM   #40
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Some more Bolt info
2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -