EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-12, 09:24 PM   #21
rhino 660
Apprentice EcoRenovator

i have 2100 feet of loop pipe on a 2 ton gshp in fl same size house. my loop temp started at 74* after 6 months of opperation it is at a constant 90* i did a slinkey config. i advise you to not cheap out on your loop feild i would double my loop size if i did it again. i hope this helps

rhino 660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 10:59 PM   #22
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino 660 View Post
i have 2100 feet of loop pipe on a 2 ton gshp in fl same size house. my loop temp started at 74* after 6 months of opperation it is at a constant 90* i did a slinkey config. i advise you to not cheap out on your loop feild i would double my loop size if i did it again. i hope this helps
"2100 feet of loop pipe" really means nothing.....

Could you please post more details? I decided to go vertical and I did but this info could help many others who has illusion to get something and pay nothing.....

So we need to know:

1 pipe type and size
2 how many loops
3 trench depth and length
4 how close your tranches to each other
5 soil condition and your approximate location
6 pipe pitch and loop width

If you give us this info then it will be useful...
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 01:09 AM   #23
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

I was in Tucson about 5/6 years ago....quite warm. Which made me think about cooling the hydraulic oil. The company that I work for has hydraulic pumps on the trucks for operating the liquid product pump. Either the tank is reasonably large to become a radiator or the oil runs through a little rad for cooling. This may adviseable for you.

Where Vlad is, the earth is cooler (I would think) than where you are, since the solar strength is not as strong. This may give the reason for installing a bigger loop system. However, I am only surmising; you'll need the full facts.

My current monthly budget for heat is about $70/month for 10 months, and my house is 22 feet square, Cape Cod style. Insulation and air sealing goes a loooooong ways.
Old 10-06-12, 01:50 PM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderzac View Post
Vlad, I understand I am lacking a ton of experience, but the only way to get it is to get my hands dirty...
vanderzac,

Getting your hands dirty is not the only way to learn about this stuff...

I looked over rhino 660 and Vlad's replys and they are both right...

GSHP technology pretty much had its epicenter in Oklahoma, and it was originally used for cooling, like what you are trying to do.

In Oklahoma, there is an organization with the unpleasant to say acronym IGSHPA, which stands for International Ground Source Heat Pump Association.

They are a huge repository of historical and theoretical information. They sponsor seminars, have hands-on trainings and also have an on-line bookstore where they sell the very best books on the subject. The books aren't cheap (about $100) but they have ALL the information you need. Compared to the time and expense of learning-by-doing, the books are an incredible bargain. I bought one of their books and I learned an incredible amount from it. The book store is HERE. I bought the original manual ("CLGS Installation Guide") and it is wonderful. If I were doing it again today, I would go for the updated version ("Residential and Light Commercial Design and Installation Manual").

Also if you haven read all the way through the Homemade Heat Pump Manifesto thread from beginning to end, it's free and loaded with good information.

One of the things I reccommended repeatedly was that anyone who is considering to install their own GSHP for heating or cooling, should read the IGSHPA manual.

You can build your own GSHP cooling and heating system for considerably less than you can hire it done, but it is not a walk in the park.

I have come across a web site where someone installed a loop system that was immersed in a fairly large pond. The guy also self-installed a packaged heat pump system and got it all to work. He said it was the biggest project he had ever attempted in his life.

Well, I'm here to tell you that designing and digging your own loop-field and building your own heat pump is much more demanding than that.

I am not trying to discourage you in your project, but you will need to seriously educate yourself, and you will need to gather or build the appropriate array of tools and know how to use them.

There are some very resourceful and capable people on this blog and they can be helpful to you, if you are willing to do your homework.

Best,

-AC