EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-22, 03:11 AM   #1
Phil_E
Lurking Renovator

Default AC (indoor) to water heater: remove fan/motor from outside unit

Hi there, first post so please be gentle!

I’ve been inspired reading some of the threads on here and done a bit of searching to see if anyone has achieved what I’m thinking of setting out to do.

I’d like to install AC in my house, 4 internal wall units. I’d like to have them all run from a single outdoor unit. I think this is called multi split. It’s not especially hot in the European summer, so I don’t think I need loads of power. It’s been 26 degrees C with the windows open / curtains closed to try and keep the heat out and the building has a high thermal mass.

I’d like to mount the outdoor unit inside! Having removed the fan, condenser and replaced those with a heat exchanger and circulation pump.
I have a 1000l thermal store to dump heat into, from the other side of the new heat exchanger.

On the modern systems, I’d imagine they’d get pretty upset if you simply removed the electronics (sensors in the fan motor, condenser etc). Id like the user experience to be seamless (ie each remote works normally for the wall unit).

I’m not looking to have any heating functions, only cooling.

So is this something that can be achieved?

What brands should I consider? Inverter unit may be quieter if inside, would that make the electronics harder?

Thanks all

Last edited by Phil_E; 06-15-22 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: More info
Phil_E is offline   Reply With Quote