EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-16, 04:20 PM   #1
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Eating Soylent

A new blog post about a high-efficiency "food" I tried:

Have you heard of soylent? It's a powdered meal replacement that some of my nerdier friends turned me on to. People have subsisted 90% or more on the stuff for years. Our general line of thought was, "It can't be any worse than the junk most people are eating."

Seeing that 8 bags (32 meals worth) cost $50 on eBay, I had to give it a shot. That's just about $1.50 per meal (Mr. Money Mustache would approve.) I use it as a convenient snack because, well, I enjoy real food too much to give it up completely. Obviously Soylent is extremely cost-effective and its main goal is efficiency. I believe a software engineer used crowd-funding to start the product, and his fingerprint is still noticeable today. For example, each box of Soylent comes with a "Release Notes" pamphlet. LOL. The different Soylent formulas are labeled v1.0, v1.4, v2.0... I'm on v1.4 but I have also tried v2.0. 2.0 was truly delicious but it's actually quite expensive because it ships in pre-mixed bottles. Of v1.4, some will say the mixed drink tastes like cake batter, others say almond milk, and my impression was corn bread.

A quarter-bag satisfies my cravings nicely but I wouldn't want to eat it twice a day. What is actually in the powder? Well, a lot of stuff. That's one of the reasons why I'm limiting my intake. The 38-long ingredient list starts with --
  • High oleic sunflower oil
  • Rice protein
  • Oat flour
  • Isomultalose- wtf is that?

and it ends with Sucralose. There are many vitamins in the middle, as the blend is specifically formulated to provide 100% of your dietary needs. Obviously this is some highly synthetic stuff. Some soylent eaters claim that constipation has been an issue, but it's been fine with me so far. Despite the strange ingredients, I would encourage efficiency-minded people to give Soylent a try.

ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-22-16)