EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-12-16, 04:42 PM   #51
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Wyr,
If a Leaf came along at an attractive price I might consider one myself. Especially used because someone else has already absorbed the high overhead.
Also it sounds like you haven't expected more from the car than it can deliver. I think a lot of people make that mistake.

Good luck with your Leaf, I'll bet you have a ball with it!
Rob

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 06:08 PM   #52
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

It is an in town only car . At least in our part of the world . No DCFC in our area . Closest is about 125 miles away & it is a Tesla Super Charger . Which does me no good .

I am not trying to save the world by driving an EV . More of a whim . Probably an expensive whim .

I am semi retired right now & drive a company truck , at $ 0 to me . I hope to work another year , at least before I fully retire & loose the company truck .

I probably should have waited at least another year before I bought a 2nd car .

Just got new tires on the Leaf . I like the way it rides & drives .

We installed a Level 2 240 VAC EVSE & charging has been fine .

2012 Chevrolet Volt Premium - $11,978 - Mileage: 48,099 miles

This was an email alert I received today . More $$$ and more miles than our Leaf . But more flexible in where you can go and what you can do .

https://www.cargurus.com/

This is just one of several car search web sites . Try a search for Volts and a search for Leafs .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 10:04 PM   #53
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
First 2 new tires mounted on the front , late last week . Wife told me the miles per charge went down . These are the same Bridgestone Ecopia 442 Low Rolling Resistance tires that came on the car .
I told her , they tire shop may not have aired the tires up as much as the old tires .
Wyr
Wyr,
The miles per charge also went down on my Leaf when I installed the Ecopia's. It went back up after a 150 miles or so. I babied mine and got 50,000 miles on my first set.
I run 42 psi in mine from when I acquired the car with only 950 miles on it.
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 02:16 AM   #54
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Back 2 tires mounted earlier this week . I aired all 4 up to 42 - 44 psi . We will see what we will see .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old 08-14-16, 10:25 AM   #55
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Received my first full 30 day electric bill since started charging the leaf on a regular basis ( Level 2 ) .

Comparing it to same time period 2015 , the 2016 bill is about $ 80 something higher . Of course , this can vary some what according to Outside Air Temperature and how much I run the A/C .

But bottom line , I am somewhat disappointed . We have been running our 2015 Chevy Sonic , mostly in town , on roughly $ 2 gasoline . Typically we would fill it up for less than $ 20 a week .

This means , it appears , it is costing slightly more to run the Leaf on electricity than compared to the Sonic on gasoline .

I realize , if gas goes up & I expect it to sooner or latter , those numbers will change .

God bless
Wyr
Old 08-14-16, 03:34 PM   #56
stevehull
Steve Hull

Go another month or two. How many miles on the Leaf for the month.

Steve
Old 08-14-16, 04:27 PM   #57
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Well , I reset the trip odometer shortly after we received delivery on the Leaf . Showing 1049 miles . Shows 4.1 miles per kw .

The guess o meter was showing 61 miles ECO mode after a full charge , a little while ago .

GOM numbers have still not recovered since installing 4 new Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires . Hope that changes in the near future .

God bless
Wyr
Attached Files
File Type: xls Electric Bills.xls (7.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 08-14-16, 08:06 PM   #58
stevehull
Steve Hull

With monthly 1049 miles and 4.1 miles/kWhr, that sounds like you used about 250 kWhr/month. At $.10/kWhr, that would be about $25/month. Not bad for a month of driving . . . .

That is just about one fill up (gasoline) for the Chevy Sonic per week.

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 08-14-16 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: clarity
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-16, 08:22 PM   #59
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

I think the Sonic holds 12 gallons , more or less . But it was usually not empty .

If you figure the electricity that way , probably between $ 25 - $ 30 of electricity . Considering the whole charging & motor process is not 100% efficient .

Figured that way , maybe some where between 1 & 2 weeks on the Sonic ? ( It only has a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder & 6 speed automatic . )

$ 2 gasoline makes it harder for the EV's to shine .

Still hoping the projected miles per charge on the Guess O Meter starts to come up , as the 4 new tires break in .

God bless
Wyr
Old 08-14-16, 09:03 PM   #60
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
I really like your Leaf. Congratulations!

I'm curious if the Leaf was always in your local area, and what kind of range does it have? Where I work (see profile), getting permission to plug-in is just not possible, ever. The used Leaf pricing I see around here is very attractive though.......

I drive a company truck at work and to and from work . No cost to me .

So , charging at work is a non issue . Although , I could easily run a 120 VAC circuit & exterior receptacle to do Level 1 120 VAC charging .

Wifey is the person driving the Leaf . She is fully retired , so charging at work is again a non issue .

With the old OEM worn tires I was getting high 70's miles per charge . Occasionally low 80's .

The new tires are showing in the 60's . I hope that comes back up , as the tires break in .

Range will surely drop , come winter , running electric resistance heat . Although it has electric heated steering wheel & seats . Said to allow you to run the cabin temperature lower , somewhat conserving some electricity .

Latter Leafs have heat pumps as an option .

God bless
Wyr