EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-14, 05:14 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default LEDs and recessed / can lighting

I've been thinking about lighting in my office remodel for a little while now. Since I have new fixtures, I definitely want to go with LED bulbs. As it is right now, I have 6 - 6" can lights in the ceiling, you can see some of them in the image below. My question is, would you guys buy LED fixtures to go in the 6" cans, or would you just use the normal fixtures and put LED screw based bulbs in?

Here is an example of a LED fixture to go in it. Replacement would be a pain, but theoretically I shouldn't ever really have to.
Amazon.com: Lemonbest® Dimmable 110V 5W LED Ceiling Light Downlight , Warm White Spotlight Lamp Recessed Lighting Fixture , Halogen Bulb Replacement: Home Improvement

Here is an example of a normal fixture.
Halo 78P 6-Inch Eyeball Light Trim, White - Amazon.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 02-05-14 at 05:17 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-14, 05:29 PM   #2
jeff88
Lots of questions

Maybe do a calculation of what will cost more in the long run: LED fixture + replacement bulbs over X years vs. "normal" fixture + replacement bulbs over X years? Another thing to consider would of course be ease of use: if you are in a pinch, can you put a "normal" bulb in or are you restricted to LEDs only.

While you're doing the remodel, have you considered bringing in more natural light (windows, skylight, etc.)?
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 05:41 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

For the cost of it, I'm willing to pay for something that is efficient and will last. At current prices I'm guessing $20-$30 per fixture for something quality. Since there are 6 cans, I'm not really worried about being in a pinch from one dying.

Not only did I consider it, I did it. The wall used to have a full window door in it that never got used. That was replaced with two windows as you can see above.

Here is the before (ok, more like during):

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-05-14 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-05-14, 08:42 PM   #4
jeff88
Lots of questions

I have to agree with your philosophy. If you're planning on being there for a while, spending the money now will save you a lot of hassle in the future. I'm guessing it will save you money in the long run anyway.

I like the updated wall (rather windows) better! Lot's of natural light compared to the old!
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 09:42 PM   #5
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

These are that ones I put in luckily I only had 5 to put in.
EcoSmart 6 in. 9.5-Watt (65W) Soft White (2700K) Dimmable LED Downlight (2-Pack)-ECO-575L at The Home Depot
$30 apiece but they work vey well.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-06-14)
Old 02-06-14, 07:37 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

How long have you had them? That looks like a nice option. I might go with something a little lower wattage though. I have 6 lights in a 14x14 room and the 60W bulbs I have hanging there now is like a blast of light. I think 40W equivalents would be plenty.

That is about what I'm expecting to pay too. Not cheap, but I should never have to replace them.

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-06-14 at 07:40 AM..
Old 02-06-14, 07:44 AM   #7
brogsie
Helper EcoRenovator

I have the same ones from Home Depot. I really like them. Your going to pay $10-$15 for trim kits anyways so the bulb is only costing you $15-$20.
brogsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brogsie For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-06-14), Servicetech (12-14-14)
Old 02-06-14, 07:57 AM   #8
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
How long have you had them? That looks like a nice option. I might go with something a little lower wattage though. I have 6 lights in a 14x14 room and the 60W bulbs I have hanging there now is like a blast of light. I think 40W equivalents would be plenty.

That is about what I'm expecting to pay too. Not cheap, but I should never have to replace them.
I have only had them about 7 months but they have worked well and the dim nicely.
This trim on my old lights had discolored and needed reworked anyway.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-06-14 at 08:01 AM..
Old 02-14-14, 07:41 PM   #9
Daox
Administrator

It seems I'm just a little too late to the party. The link no longer works to the home depot bulbs. They have a similar bulb, but it consumes 12.5W instead of 9.5W. There are some elsewhere, but it looks like I'll be paying a premium to get them. Amazon has them for $38 yikes... I think I might try to see what I can get locally. If I don't like it, I can return it easily enough.

&
Old 02-14-14, 07:51 PM   #10
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

These don't look to bad but I have not used them.

Lowe's Home Improvement

Tags
bulb, led, light