EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-21, 08:00 AM   #1
Sparky!
Lurking Renovator

Default 4-5 ton Mr. Cool universal with a short life

I wanted to share an experience that I had with my heat pump. It was installed about a month before its life came to an end.
When I came home I noticed that it was cold in the house but the heat pump was not running and my ecobee thermostat was in a heat mode that I've not seen before, so I thought at first it was the problem. I believed the heat pump had just ran because like normal there was a wet spot under the unit. I later realized it was compressor oil and a very large amount had came out of the system. There was the large spot on the concrete, the blanket around the compressor was saturated, and anywhere that could hold a liquid inside the unit was also full of oil.

I put my gauges on and nothing was left in the system, so I hook up nitrogen and pressurized the system and found a factory braze that had failed.

So I called my online retailer to find out how much oil did it start with new, how do I determine how much to add back, and what type of oil did Mr. cool prefer.

And just like that they said that they are sending out a new unit and to send the old one back no charge to me.I guess I didn't think that I warranty for a online purchase was going to be any good, I was was wrong.

It should be here this week and swapping will be very easy except for the 309 lbs. it's a beast.

My bill for gas last month was 53 and my neighbors was 164. I've used him as a comparison for years. I realize it's not apples to apples but it is useful none the less. He only uses natural gas for heat where as mine is also used for the dryer.

I love shifting more and more over onto our solar system.

Last year I decided to get my refrigerant license and did end up getting a universal so that I can work on all systems. During this time I also bought all the tools of the trade. I find hvac quite fascinating.

-jason-

Sparky! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparky! For This Useful Post:
Korol (07-22-23), skyking (12-21-21), WoodBurner (03-01-22)
Old 11-22-21, 01:21 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for sharing Jason! Its great to see companies hold up things on their end. I'm glad to see they came through for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-21, 04:36 PM   #3
Sparky!
Lurking Renovator

Default The second time is easier

I got the unit replaced and seriously it could not have been any easier to do. Swapping out for an identical unit was almost tool less. Anyway the new unit is in and as weird as it may be it is much quieter than the old one.

I also got a bill for 169.00 for natural gas for the short time it was down. I'm glad I'm back running on sunshine.

we have had some single digit days and this thing does not care, I can't wait for it to really get cold! Seriously did I just type that???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparky! For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-19-21), skyking (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 05:29 PM   #4
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Customer Service is Everything!

It's nice to know that customer service isn't dead. I just retired in August this year but for the last few years, I've sold Fujitsu and AirTemp (Gree via R.E.Michel). Fujitsu, hands down, has the best tech help I've experienced in a long time. No questions asked, if the unit failed, they have me check a few things (obvious things to me by now) but if the unit fails on their end, they give you a part no., you turn in the bad part and they replace it on a 10yr parts/10yr compressor warranty.

AirTemp is cheaper but only carry a 7year parts/5year compressor. Customer service sucks and I've been waiting for 1 month so far for a replacement highwall indoor 9k. I'm sure when it does come in, I'll be replacing this thing in sub-freezing temperatures. I'm not a happy camper.

I go with anyone with good customer service any day, no matter what it is

I like good experience stories - thanks for sharing
vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 08:42 PM   #5
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

would you mind sharing your retailer, and the warranty details?
Did you do a self install?
Thanks for sharing.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 05:13 PM   #6
Sparky!
Lurking Renovator

Default Monthly usage update

My Mr.Cool 5 ton heat pump has been preforming flawlessly. I believe the coldest its seen yet is -15 and it still kept up. The following 2 images are from our sense energy monitor showing the use for the heat pump and all other unassigned energy uses. The one screenshot is for December and the other is January's so far.

I'm glad I built a stand for it and that it's a foot above the concrete. It does build up ice underneath it. 2 times I've removed ice that was about 3" thick. it came up very easily since I put salt down first it keeps a gap between it and the concrete.

Any questions or ideas feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220120-165706_Sense.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	9420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220120-165713_Sense.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	9421  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparky! For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-21-22)
Old 01-20-22, 05:46 PM   #7
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

who was the retailer?
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 01:08 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the update! Its good to hear that its doing its job well.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-22, 05:52 PM   #9
Sparky!
Lurking Renovator

Here is an update from Iowa. The following is my usage for January 2022. My natural gas bill was $260 and the first screen shot is for my electrical usage for the heat pump for January. Thank goodness I have enough banked with the electric company. Can believe it took 460 plus dollars of energy for heat for the month.

The second screen shot is of the heat pump usage so far for February. Even though the heat pump kept up I decided to have my system switch over to gas at anything lower than 0 degrees Fahrenheit out.

I will try and see how many therms it was as price doesn't mean much.

Ingram's is who I bought the mr. cool unit from.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220215-174118_Sense.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	9425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220215-174112_Sense.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	9426  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparky! For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (02-18-22), WoodBurner (03-01-22)