EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-09, 12:41 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default More info against bottled water

This is another one of those neat images that shows you tons of info about something. I'd highly recommend the click and quick read.

Infographic of the Day: Is Bottled Water Really That Bad? Yes | Design & Innovation | Fast Company

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (07-27-10)
Old 12-16-09, 10:30 AM   #2
Higgy
The Gardener

Woah...that's crazy. Only time we ever drink bottled water is when we're on vacation in another country other then Canada or the US.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 03:06 PM   #3
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

The Wife and I just finished watching Irena Salina's great documentary about water: Flow: For Love of Water.
You can watch it on Top Documentary Films.
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 09:42 PM   #4
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I've actually bought Buffalo tap water in 1 gal and 2.5gal jugs, hundreds of miles from home, when I found that the local well water was too flavorful for me. If I had known, I might have brought it from home.

Also, when I'm offered free bottled water, and I'm really thirsty, I prefer to dump out that PET-flavored stuff and refill with tap water. Surprisingly, this offends some people.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 09:42 PM   #5
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Not only that, but the bottles contain BPA which is a synthetic estrogen.

Bisphenol A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Updated repeat after me: "No more plastic bottles, or #7 plastic, or things that leach BPA or aluminum...": Brave New Leaf

I now use stainless steel bottle (like Kleen Kanteen) and we have bee using Brita filters on our tap water for many years. Our town has local wells, and the water is pretty hard (lots of iron and manganese, etc.) and the Brita filtered water tastes much better. You can do a double blind test and pick the difference any time. Coffee tastes much better, too with filtered water.

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 10-18-10 at 09:48 PM..
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 04:05 AM   #6
bradford108
Lurking Renovator

There's an episode on Penn & Teller's show that discussed how people's opinion about bottled water are subjective. There's was one experiment where they served tap water placed in fancy bottles and priced them at ridiculous rates (one of them went over $100 a glass, claiming it came from the everglades or somewhere). Then they recorded the opinions of the buyers. It's really great stuff.
bradford108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 03:54 AM   #7
S-F
You Ain't Me

I'd just like to add that I have always been opposed to bottled water in it's current implementation. I personally get all of my drinking/cooking water form a natural spring near by in the mountains. I transport and store it in glass carboys, the kind used for making beer at home. I have never had water that tastes and feels better. 98% of bottled water tastes like decent tap water to me. The other 2% costs a fortune and I only drink it as a treat. Water like Gerolsteiner and Appolinaris.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 10:15 AM   #8
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

More infographics about water

I believe that the last graphic shows how much water each country has compared to how much it uses, but I can't find a better res version of it.

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 02-13-11 at 10:21 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:26 AM   #9
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Any water I send down the drain goes right back in to the same river (Niagara) that we pull our drinking water from. I don't see any harm in that, except the energy involved in pumping it to my house, and the cost of running the sewage treatment plant. The number of times I flush my toilet has very little to do with whether persons living in slums in Mozambique can afford plumbing.

Likewise, the statement that it takes 10500 lbs of water to make a hamburger is kind of silly. That water can be used more than once. And does the 312000lbs of water per car figure include the water used by the assembly line workers, their families at home, and the hamburgers they eat for lunch?

The real issue is economic development of the third world, as all of the world's water problems can literally be solved with money. Look at sub-saharan Africa. No "areas of water shortage" according to the infographic. It should be a breadbasket, but instead, it's very much reliant on food imports. What can I do to promote scientific crop rotation, fertilization, irrigation, and mechanized agriculture in places like Zimbabwe? That's a genuine question, and I do have some funds set aside for charity.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:06 AM   #10
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
The average American uses 30.3 times more water than a person who lives in Sub-Saharan Africa.
So what...???

The U.S. just happens to have lots of fresh water available.

Quote:
60,000,000 children are born into households without access to clean water every year.
Quote:
6,000 children die everyday from preventable water borne diseases. That is one child every 20 seconds.
If one can not provide a safe environment with adequate Water, Food and Shelter for the well being of their children then they shouldn't have them...

Population control is the problem in these countries, not the available resources.

>
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote