EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-15, 11:20 AM   #11
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro View Post
As a follow up:
there are new Whirlpool and LG heat pump clothes dryers available in the US. A review of the Whirlpool unit is featured on greenbuildingadvisor here:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com....dvisor-eletter
Its a dead link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-15, 12:37 PM   #12
Semipro
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Its a dead link
I revised post to to include a different link that seems to work.
Semipro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semipro For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (02-06-15)
Old 02-06-15, 03:23 PM   #13
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

i was surprised to see it uses 2800 watts , maybe it uses full power for a short duration in the first stage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-15, 08:31 PM   #14
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

If it's compressor based, the startup power draw would be very high.
Old 02-06-15, 11:30 PM   #15
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thinking about the btu rating compared to a resistance heat strip dryer. I think 5kw is the common rating, so about 20kbtu. For cost I would wager the compressor system is more similar to a window unit vs a mini split. Some gains could probably be made with a modern style compressor. Don't forget a good amount of power is also used turning the drum full of clothes.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 06:54 AM   #16
Semipro
Andy

I thought the idea of using lower temp, and dryer air, resulted in less damage to clothes was interesting too.
I like that it had two lint filters also. Effective lint filtering is no small task when recycling the drying air as both condensing and HP dryers do. Of course what the author may be calling a "lint filter" may actually be the heat exchanger.

Edit: it appears to actually have two lint filters.
Reference: the owner's manual here: http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalasse...%20Care_EN.pdf
Old 03-03-15, 02:49 AM   #17
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Interesting reading....

If one is really wanting a condensing dryer, going with the LG washer/dryer combo may be a good bet. My unit has no filter, the wash cycle basically takes care of that I guess. It has a pump filter that most all washer do to catch large debris.

I find it also helps with the issue many front loaders have in keeping the seal dry and not growing mold, as you run a dry cycle right after the wash cycle which dries it up nicely.
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 09:59 AM   #18
Semipro
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgottapee View Post
Interesting reading....

If one is really wanting a condensing dryer, going with the LG washer/dryer combo may be a good bet. My unit has no filter, the wash cycle basically takes care of that I guess. It has a pump filter that most all washer do to catch large debris.

I find it also helps with the issue many front loaders have in keeping the seal dry and not growing mold, as you run a dry cycle right after the wash cycle which dries it up nicely.
Does your LG have a (condensation) water collection tray that must be emptied manually?
Old 03-07-15, 04:21 PM   #19
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Does your LG have a (condensation) water collection tray that must be emptied manually?
Nope, it flushes out the pump just like it pumps out water from the tub during the wash cycle.
It really seems like it solves some of the maintenance issues. Heck it might be worth it even if you didn't use it as a washer as it still takes care of itself in dry only mode. Although the best benefit is the drying mode drys the tub after a wash sold there is no moldy gasket issues.

It makes three distinct pumping sounds while drying: one when flushing the condenser with fresh cold water which happens frequently, and one when rinsing off the condenser with fresh water which happens rarely(same sound as filling tub), and then one when pumping out the condensed and rinse water (same as pumping tub empty)

There is also the washer cleaning cycle that I've used when I've washed a new towel or something that put fine lint everywhere, rather than manually cleaning the gasket, etc.
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-15, 01:44 PM   #20
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
- You have to have a place for discharge of condensed water. Not a big deal, a pump in the dryer sends it out through a small hose to the clothes washer drain.
We have a 220 liter barrel next to our condensing boiler. It produces 5-15 liters of water daily, which we use to flush the toilet.

Quote:
I like that it had two lint filters also. Effective lint filtering is no small task when recycling the drying air as both condensing and HP dryers do. Of course what the author may be calling a "lint filter" may actually be the heat exchanger.
The heat exchanger can work as a filter, though a hard to clean one