EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-09, 10:49 AM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Cheap-o Greenhouse

I built a greenhouse this morning....From scratch....In about ten minutes.

Ok, ok. So it's not what you would call "Big" or "Permanent" or even "Sturdy".

It is however, made completely from free/used/reusable materials, and a good little experiment.

If you live the the daylight-starved great white North like I do, any solar building in the winter is a good one.

I got the idea about this after visiting the Michael Fields Agricultural Institute a few weeks back.

They had a BEAUTIFUL greenhouse there made from patio doors, greenhouse glazing, sheet metal, and insulation. The beams were natural round wood poles. It looked like all materials in the building were recycled.

Now here's the thing. It was an A-frame. The easiest building in the world, because the walls and the roof are the same thing. Imagine the capital letter A. That's what it looks like.

The south wall was all glass and the north wall was all insulation - simple.

For a while, I have thought it would be great to have a greenhouse on my property, but they get complicated and expensive fast.

I already had a couple of sheets of salvaged 4-foot by 9-foot polycarbonate greenhouse glazing. I also have a few sheets of 1/2 and 3/4 EPS (pink foam insulation.

All I did was lean two pieces of the glazing together, with the insulation against the north sheet. I held the two corners together with spring clamps, and then threw a packing blanket over either end. It actually took me longer to write this message than to build it!

No, this is not a permanent greenhouse, and no there is nothing growing in it. In fact, it will be lucky if it doesn't just blow over.

I put a thermometer in there when I built it (30 degrees F.) It's partly cloudy today. I'm going to let the greenhouse sit for a while, and then I will crawl in it this afternoon to see what the temperature is.

This is just a simple proof-of-concept shelter. Obviously, it would have to be built more solid, larger, and have permanent materials to be an actually useful building.

For me though, it's often easier to actually DO something than just dream or sketch on paper.

-Ben

See more of my projects at greencarvideos.blogspot.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 11:00 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

A test for ideas on the new garage???
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:50 PM   #3
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I would SO LOVE to have a passive solar garage!

Too bad about the orientation and that great big pine tree! The only way to get some good solar heat to the garage might be with some hot air collectors, although I really don't like the looks of them.

I know the old style of lift garage door was rigid, it just moved a little different on the track than the multi-part garage doors everyone has now.

Maybe I could have a giant solar hot air collector IN PLACE of a garage door? Not sure how it would be designed to still look nice and blend in with the architecture of my house, but it could be possible?

Experimental buildings are fun.

Old 03-03-09, 01:17 PM   #4
Higgy
The Gardener

Hey Ben...you're not allowed to call yourself part of the Great White North unless you A) Live in Canada, or B) have more then 5 inches of snow on the ground and can't see any grass at this time of the year.

That's pretty cool though. I would love to have some kind of green house but my yard is smallish, and my kids are too, which means if I built one they wouldn't have much room to run. So I will probably have to hold off until they're older. So until then I'll have to reside to reading what you and other people do. Keep the ideas coming.

...preferably something that won't get knocked down though...my tomatoes couldn't handle the squashing.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:19 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

As long as you don't mind your garage door being flat black I think its totally possible. Maybe you just have to trim your trees a little bit. All you really need is good sunlight from about 10AM to 2PM when it is the most direct.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:58 PM   #6
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

If anyone has more ideas for greening up a garage, head on over to:
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/new-co....html#post2288

Old 03-03-09, 02:35 PM   #7
SVOboy
Administrator

Looks pretty neat. Any plans for putting in something more permanent?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:59 PM   #8
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Well, I just crawled inside the cheap-o doghouse, er...greenhouse.

It's warmer in there than outside, but not by a ton. I did throw in a scrap of foam insulation which is black on the one side. I put the black side up.

Crawling inside and laying on the black foam, it was slightly warm. It was warmer than the air.

It appears that there is a bit of a draft going through.

I would actually see a few blades of grass moving from the breeze. I think this was carrying away any heat I was building up.

OK, so maybe blankets are NOT the best construction material...

It DOES make me want to improve this slightly. If I make the ends out of a rigid material, and airtight, I think it should work pretty well.

Old 03-03-09, 06:46 PM   #9
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Version 2 is done.

I don't think the wind is going to blow it away.

I replaced the blanket ends with another (partial) piece of the scrap greenhouse glazing, and some more pink foam.

I sealed up all the ends of the dual-wall polycarbonate with packaging tape, so it will have better insulation value.

The base of the walls are held in place by metal stakes driven into the ground.

The wall end made from the short piece of glazing didn't line up well, do I drilled and ran baling wire through to connect it to the walls.

All seams were caulked with silicone.

(er - gotta go. I have a City Council Meeting to attend to promote Neighborhood Electric Vehicles!!!)

Old 03-03-09, 09:11 PM   #10
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Yea! I just helped pass Neighborhood Electric Vehicle ordinance in my city!

OK, where was I?

er, um, Photos.

I used a stake to hold up an end wall.

I used packaging tape to attach the insulation to the north wall/roof. I used packaging tape to seal up the open ends of the panels and seal seams

http://gallery.me.com/benhdvideoguy/...C_0344/web.jpg

I used stakes to keep the bottoms of the walls from slipping out, and eco-clamps (green, reusable, spring clamps) to temp. hold the other end.

I caulked the top seam, and used bailing wire to pin down the one end.

Wire was tightened with my eco-pliers. (They're green too!)

I cut some foam to make the other end.

What's that you say? "No Door?" No problem, that's why God invented the Sawzall.

Yes, it's overkill, but it cuts like butter!

I attached the cut-out to another hunk of foam, and attached a handle. For bonus points, what part of an electric car is the handle made from?

Here's the finished door closed.

And the view from the inside.

And here's the finished product.

It does look kinda like some crazy emergency shelter, doesn't it? Inside, I put down a black packing blanket and a thermometer.

The next sunny day I am not working, I will be out there!

Tags
cheap, greenhouse, solar