Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-28-12, 04:13 PM   #11
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
libertarians have flaws, their major flaw being, that they can't deal with anything being decided for them, and
Let's try an experiment to determine your libertarian leanings. Let me decide for you how you will get energy into your home. I decide that you must rip out all of your solar and install a coal burning furnace with no filters in place at all.

Well, how are you liking me deciding things for you?

AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 04:23 PM   #12
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
certain laws have to exist other than the right to carry, like the right not to be at the recieving end of racism. Hell, they should've locked the clan up so long ago, every last one of em.
Everyone has their own little bugaboos, things that they value more highly than other things but that doesn't mean that their value system can be imposed on other people.

You may be a religious fanatic, say in the Church of Environmentalism or one of the Churches of Christianity. You may think that the world would be a better place if you could outlaw disbelief in the precepts of these religions. Now turn the tables and say that you're an Atheist - how are you going to feel when the State comes along and sends you to a religious reeducation camp to indoctrinate you into religion and force you to live your life as a religious person.

Racism is simply a manifestation of free association. If you look at the data from Dating Sites you find that single white women are one of the most racist groups on those boards because they have the least interest in dating outside of their race. What do you propose to do about their racism?

If you look at how people choose to live, they seek out the familiar and thus residential segregation results. If you'd like we can play out a little experiment - I'm asking you to put your money where your mouth is - all I need is your zip code and I'll pull up the residential racial segregation data for your neighborhood, I'll post the graphic results, and we'll see if you live in a neighborhood which is fully racially integrated or not. I'm suspecting that you're blowharding and posturing on this issue - cheap talk about how enlightened you are and I'm playing a hunch here that you don't actually seek out a neighborhood to live where you are in the minority.
Old 02-28-12, 06:33 PM   #13
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Here's my city data.. Woburn, Massachusetts (MA) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Here's where I grew up.. Del Rio, Texas (TX) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Hispanic - 29,746 (82.4%)
White alone - 5,481 (15.2%)
Black alone - 478 (1.3%)
Two or more races - 192 (0.5%)
Asian alone - 156 (0.4%)
Other race alone - 19 (0.05%)
American alone - 13 (0.04%)

478 Blacks in Del Rio now! That's amazing. When I was a kid, I remember
only having one black friend in school.
I think his Dad was stationed at the local USAF base for a couple of years.
There might have been two or three black families living there back in the 50s & early 60s..
156 Asians? That's a big change from Zero Asians back in the old days.
Seems like Del Rio was around 90% Hispanic back then.

Going back for a visit was on my bucket list..
Until, I decided to stop flying on air lines.. I may have to drive down..
Old 02-28-12, 06:56 PM   #14
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Here's the map for Woburn:

Here's the map for Del Rio:

Here you can see the residential segregation more clearly.

Census tract 950201, at the top of the image, breaks down whites (43%), blacks (5%) and Hispanics (51%) compared to Census Tract 950602 at the bottom of the image where whites are 4% and Hispanics are 96%.
Old 02-28-12, 07:35 PM   #15
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

The area south of the San Felipe Creek is part of the old town. It's where the town
started back in the wild old days.
North of the creek, it was flat, hot and dry (that's where the new homes went)..
Along the creek, and on the south bank, there were lots of trees and mashes and land that could be irrigated.
Back in the 1700s, everyone wanted to live in San Felipe.. Right by the water..

San Felipe Creek, Del Rio, TX | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I just about lived on that creek for most of seven summers of my life..
When it was 101F in the shade, the movie theater and the creek were the coolest places around..