EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-17, 03:55 PM   #1
buffalobillpatrick
Master EcoRenovator

Default My New House Build

I finally sold my old house, so now I have the money to build a new one.

Close to Pikes Peak, climate zone 5B (dry), Design Temp = 2*F, Altitude = 8,750', Heating Degree Days = 6,415, Air Freeze Index = 2,500, Wind load = 100mph

IRC 2009 insulation levels & some 2015 mixed in for fun. IPC Plumbing 2006.

Everything has to be permitted & inspected.

I had to hire a Draftsman to format my hand drawn design. Now a Structural Engineer is doing his thing as almost 100 yards of concrete & rebar is needed.

I had to pay $600 for a 2nd soils test to satisfy the county that the 4,000psi decomposed granite (soil) hasn't changed in the last 5 years since the shop was built.
(County has a “Screw the new policy”)

House will be a simple rectangle 30' x 48' with a simple gable roof 9.7 in 12 pitch. Decra steel shake roof panels over batons on 5/8" CDX plywood sheathing.

2 bedrooms & full bathroom upstairs will go inside the framed opening in the engineer stamped attic trusses, 14' x 48'

No roof vents due to fire risk from nearby trees on neighbors property.

I will be using closed cell SPF on bottom side of roof sheathing made by Bayer, will be sprayed in warm weather to help prevent fishy smell.

It supposedly has a built in "Ignition Barrier", but I don't know if Teller County will force me to add a more stringent "Thermal Barrier" ?

If so, I will only use 4" of SPF (supposedly R28) + 3.5" of Johns Manville rock wool R-15 (approved Thermal Barrier)

The downstairs will be a walk-out basement, built into a South East hill facing Pikes Peak.

All concrete walls, 12' in front over stepped down footer (freeze depth) & 10' around rear, + a 24' x 8' retaining wall.

One would think that freeze depth is much more like 6-7' but because of the dry gravel nature the County specifies 32" below grade to bottom of footers, they also insist on 10' deep drain down yard hydrants???

All exterior walls will be insulated on the inside with 2 x 3" 4' x 8' panels of Polyiso foam that I got cheap off of Craigslist from a roof tear off in Dallas Tx.

Something interesting about Polyiso foam is that its R-value is GREATLY dependent on temperature. In example say it's 70*F inside house & 0*F outside, the very outside will be about R-2 per inch & the very inside will be about R-6 per inch.

BBP

Last edited by buffalobillpatrick; 03-07-18 at 12:47 PM..
buffalobillpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buffalobillpatrick For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (08-19-17)