EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-31-12, 09:28 PM   #71
Daox
Administrator

Well the thing is I have to gut my upstairs anyways to get insulation into the walls. What I have now is an intermediate layer of lathe and plaster between the sheathing and the interior lathe and plaster. There is no way to simply cut in and blow cellulose into the wall. So its either foam on the outside or gut the inside. I also want to replace the single pane windows up there. I figured gutting was the better place to start. So, the current plan is gutting it and extending the wall cavity with a larsen type truss. At the same time I'll be tearing up the floor to insulate the outside wall between the floors as well. The foam on the outside I assumed could be done at a later time.

I am really looking to do this the best possible way. No, I don't have 80k to pay a contractor, but I can do it bit by bit myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 09:54 PM   #72
S-F
You Ain't Me

If you DIY you might not be looking at 80K but if you go for insulating to the inside and getting Serious windows you're probably looking at 40K or so. Me, I want to do it all on the cheap. After all, aside from increased comfort, the name of the game is savings. I plan to R 40 or so the walls in my ranch for closer to 5K. And that's with no thermal bridging anywhere in any way.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 07:52 AM   #73
Daox
Administrator

I'm okay with spending money if that is the right way to do it. It'll just have to be done slower as money allows. 40k still seems way high as I'll have about $3k into this one room ($2k of that is windows of course) and I only have 4 more rooms to do and most of them have less windows. Also, as I mentioned I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the Serious Windows or not, we'll see how I like them. I do agree that R40 plus excellent air sealing is going to be a gigantic improvement over what I currently have and will likely be enough. Since, if/when I do reside, it'll likely be after most of the interior remodeling, I'll have the choice of adding additional foam to the outside at that point.

Sealing is obviously the first thing I'd want to do and I have done a fair amount where I can, but it'll have be done along the way. As of right now I've sealed up almost everything I can without cutting into walls according to the energy auditor I had over a few weeks ago. So, the additional sealing will need to be done as the house is renovated. I also talked with him about having him come back just to do blower door tests as I plan on continuing sealing the house up. He said that wouldn't be a problem.

&
Old 05-15-12, 02:48 PM   #74
Daox
Administrator

I just got word that my new windows have arrived at the distributor. I should be getting them delivered later this week. Pics to come then! Lets see what all the hubbub is about with these fancy windows.

&
Old 10-11-12, 11:07 PM   #75
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

How is the office coming?
Old 10-12-12, 11:03 AM   #76
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, there are updates, I've just droped the ball and haven't posted anything. Mainly, this project is starting up again. I recently did some additional demo work on the ceiling and hopefully this weekend I'll start taking out portions of the wall to make room for the inner wall that'll be framed in. I do have the windows and they're pretty much ready to go. I also just talked with my cousin, a carpenter, the other day about getting the windows put in the wall. I'll have updates in the next few weeks because I want this done before winter.

I'll get some pictures of these windows. They have some interesting design features.

&

Last edited by Daox; 10-12-12 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-20-12, 07:57 AM   #77
Daox
Administrator

Well, last night was work on the office wall night. This morning, my cousin (a carpenter) is coming over to help me build the inner wall and install the windows.

Here is what I did last night.

First, I started out removing the siding on the outside of the office wall. See this thread on how I go about trying to seal the exterior with the rigid foam.

In the mean time, Mrs Daox started working on taking out the interior side of the wall. I joined her shortly after for a few hours of good 'ol demo fun.

Half of the first layer of lathe and plaster done. The first layer actually is tongue and groove board with a groove in it so the plaster can cling to it. Its kind of a pain to remove. In this picture you can also see the second layer of lathe and plaster behind the first. This is the insulation of its day (circa late 1800s).

Here is a shot of the second layer of lathe and plaster. This layer of plaster was significantly softer and thinner which makes removing it quite a bit easier.

Lastly, this is how far we got last night. I had to wait until this morning to snap a clear picture of the entire room because of all the dust.

Well, back to work for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 003.JPG
Views:	1652
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2616   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 007.JPG
Views:	2167
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2617   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 012.JPG
Views:	1548
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2619   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 013.JPG
Views:	1722
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2620   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 018 (2).JPG
Views:	1536
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2622  

Name:	house 018.JPG
Views:	1777
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	2623  

&
Old 10-20-12, 08:27 AM   #78
S-F
You Ain't Me

A tip a little late. A pitch fork run along the lath takes the plaster right down.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-12, 10:34 PM   #79
Daox
Administrator

Haha, yeah that might have helped. I ended up doing something semi-similar with my pry bar which seemed to work out alright.

Well, we got a ton done today. The windows are now in and most of the inner wall is framed. Unfortunately, my camera took a dump on me halfway through the work. This is probably due to the copious amounts of plaster which got in my pockets where the camera resided... Anyway, I got some of the remaining demo work on my camera and some shots of the rest of the work on my wife's phone which I'll have to get later.

Here is the wonderful 'framing' job done on the door that was in the wall.

Here is the ceiling of the room. It is balloon frame, but it has a 1x4 board notched into the 2x4, for what reason, I do not know.

I'll get the rest of the pictures up tomorrow. For now, I sleep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	house 026.JPG
Views:	3525
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2629   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 028.JPG
Views:	2723
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2630  

&
Old 10-22-12, 08:12 AM   #80
Daox
Administrator

Here are the picture from the phone.

Once the wall was all gutted (4+ garbage cans full of plaster), we removed the door, re-framed around where the door was. Then we framed in the other window opening, and then cut the hole for it.

Once we got the first (left) window in, we framed up the door opening (easier to keep open to move materials in/out) for the window on the right side.

Next up, we installed the second window and started framing the inner wall

And this is how it currently sits. Its mostly framed in.

We have a few things to finish up before we can continue with the wall. I have some electrical to move around, and I will be building a cubby hole for the TV electronics through the wall of the other room.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-10-20_16-22-06_584.jpg
Views:	1517
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2631   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20_19-06-45_475.jpg
Views:	1961
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2632   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20_19-07-11_985.jpg
Views:	1719
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2633   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20_19-52-53_151.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2634   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-21_09-50-18_689.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2635  

&

Last edited by Daox; 10-22-12 at 08:37 AM..

Tags
bamboo, diy, flooring, hydronic, remodel, superinsulate