EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-18-14, 12:52 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Heatworks model 1 (electric tankless water heater)

While nothing completely revolutionary, this looks like a nice upgrade to existing tech that not only makes things more reliable, but also hopefully cheaper.

I like the carbon heating element vs the spring style. The idea of wifi controlled temperature is very nice. I also like that it has no flow switch... but I'm wondering how they detect water flow with out one?

Thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r?ref=category

http://myheatworks.com/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	822d06eab71e1fc27c0fa236b345e976_large.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	4166  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 03-18-14 at 02:03 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 07:12 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Reading through the details, it says that normal tankless heaters take 30 seconds to get warm, with a graph showing a ramping temperature. Is that your experience with the output of your Stiebel Eltron DHC-E 10? This has been something I've been thinking about a bit lately and has been on the back burner to ask about but seeing this in their 'campaign article' makes me want to know.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 07:46 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Without taking measurements, I'd say it probably does take a little while for it to heat up. It does hold a small amount of water in it, and I'm sure it can't heat that up instantly. I think 30 seconds seems a bit much though. And, the Model1 is very close to the same power output as my DHC-E 10 which is 9.6 kW, the Model1 is 11.5 kW.

I would imagine that the volume of water held in the unit has a large effect on how fast it warms up. I would think the Model1 would heat it faster because it is using the water as the resistor, not a heating element. However, you are still putting 9.6kW or 11.5kW into the water heater.

Here are the guts of my DHC-E 10.

&

Last edited by Daox; 03-19-14 at 07:54 AM..
Old 03-20-14, 06:59 PM   #4
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The problem with using water as the resistor is impedance will vary depending on the hardness of the water.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 07:56 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I am assuming they've covered their bases. They probably have a current sensor that monitors how much power is going in and it adjust PWM duty cycle accordingly.

&