Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-13, 04:55 AM   #1
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Default DC Inverter mini split

My mini split is the traditional technology , bottom of the line 13 seer el cheap o model . The condenser cycles , off and on , with cooling load / demand .
I read of the newer technology with DC Inverter drive for the compressor . I read of 380 VDC powering the motor ?
Now , we have wired quite a few 3 phase AC VFD's for various application . Largely HVAC .
I watched a youtube video by a guy " Down Under " that seemed to imply the mini split inverter drive compressors were 3 phase ?
I am aware that the VFD's I am familiar with , convert the AC to DC . The " slices & dices " the DC to produce " synthetic AC of the frequency , voltage and amperage to run the motor in question .
In theory , would not matter if the incoming AC is single phase or three phase .
So , am I getting close to the truth of the matter ? Are the inverter drive mini split compressors actually three phase AC ? Never heard of three phase DC , do not personally think it exists . Certainly not by the definition of three phase I learned . MANY years ago . Would think it would make Tesla spin in his grave .
Wonder if he would spin CW or CCW ? :-)
God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote