EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-15, 01:19 PM   #1
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Adding more Blown in Insulation

I have been considering installing more blown-in insulation onto the existing blown-in already in the attic space. Its been in the 80's outside here and hotter in the attic, but I want that extra insulation benefit inside the living space for the winter also. I have help now from the boys before they get back to college, so we have to get it done in the next week.

There is a local insulation installer that has retired and is clearing out his inventory. He has bags of 30# for $11.99 each. The local box stores have 15# bags for $18.99 a bag. So a pretty good savings I figure.

I have about 950 Sq. Ft. of attic space to cover. Some of the existing insulation has been pushed aside where I navigated to add boxed covers to can lighting boxes and bath fans, etc.

I was thinking of spreading out the existing insulation to fill in those areas and then use a piece of plywood to flatten it sorta making it more of a dense pack, then blow in the new insulation on top of it. Maybe that's too much work? I don't know. Will that cause problems?

According to his ad, for 1000 sq. ft, one would need
11 bags = R13
17 bags = R19
19 bags = R21
24 bags = R25
29 bags = R30
39 bags = R38
54 bags = R49
69 bags = R60

I estimated that I have about 12 to 15 inches of cellulose insulation in there already. Wouldn't it be be a waste of money to have R60?

Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote