EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-08, 05:55 PM   #21
Daox
Administrator

Got any pictures of the install Strider? I'd love to see a DIY setup instead of the fancy online pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 12:08 PM   #22
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

not a lot of detailed shots during the install but here is the album where I did the roof. From a roof point of view they install pretty much the same as all of the other vents. cut the hole, tarpaper, shingle up to the hole, drop in tube flashing piece, finish shingling. Then you drop the metal tube into the flashing piece, add the dome and you're done on the roof.

Inside cut the hole attach the plastic piece that holds everything to the roof. put the tube in and then climb into the attic to make the connection.

Relatively simple but a bit nit picky at times. the tube itself isn't the strongest piece of metal so you can't really force it to fit even though being able to reef on it would be nice at times. Also it comes with a protective plastic film inside that you have to remove but because the film was applied before the tube was shaped the film is pinched into the joints making it all but impossible to get completely out.

Here is an album of the roof being done, It doesn't have a lot of detail about the tubes because I was on the roof doing the work. Not a lot to see anyways.
Picasa Web Albums - Jamie - new roof
In this album you can see the inside part of the bathroom reno
Picasa Web Albums - Jamie - bathroom reno
In some of the pictures you'll see what looks like light reflecting off of water on the walls and washing machine. that is what the light looks like when you don't have the diffuser/cover on. here is a good example of that. http://picasaweb.google.ca/strider37...94293229834034

When that is installed it spreads the light in a really nice glow. It's great. Right now there is no sun on the house and in the bathroom without an windows and with the door closed is still easy to see well enough to do your business. If shaving or the wife was applying make up I'd turn on the lights but everything else is fine.

I don't have any pictures of the kitchen tube. It basically looks the same but larger. I centered it in the room and when the sun is hitting the roof my wife jokes that it looks like the transporter in startrek. It absolutely glows and you can't look directly at it without it's diffuser on. Way too bright.

Last edited by strider3700; 12-16-08 at 12:11 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 12:54 PM   #23
Daox
Administrator

Sorry, do you have any pictures of it installed is what I meant? I'd like to see how much light they bring into a room.

Looks like you've done a lot of work lately though!

&
Old 12-19-08, 12:34 AM   #24
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

It doesn't look like I have any pictures of the two finished and working. I'd take some new ones but this time of year my house is permanently shaded. remind me sometime in march when the sun comes back and I'll make sure to snap some. In the meantime they just provide a bit of low level light. You could read by them but it probably isn't good for your eyes.
Old 03-19-10, 11:58 AM   #25
GvilleRenovator
Greening Renovator

Default Any pics of the Finished Solar Tubes?

Strider3700, you asked that Doax remind you in March to take pics.
Did you get the pics taken?

I was thinking of installing a Solar Tube and was wondering how bright they were.
GvilleRenovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 09:51 PM   #26
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Sorry I didn't as I moved. However if the weather works out on the easter long weekend I'll be reroofing the new home and a small 10 or 12" solatube will be installed to brighten up the hallway. I'll take some before pictures tomorrow which is supposed to be nice and sunny.

After having installed them at the old house and seeing how the hallway was kind of dark without having the light on it was and easy decision to install them again.
Old 03-25-10, 02:03 PM   #27
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'd like to see the light tubes output on a sunny day, too. They are on my to-do list for lighting the room over the detached garage I am building.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 07:29 PM   #28
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

ok it's been a long long time coming but we had another baby this summer that delayed a bunch of projects. We did do the roof and outside part of the install back in the spring. No install pictures of that. It basically just installs like a roof vent then you drop the upper part of the tube in place and then sit the dome on top holding it in place with some screws. I then ignored it for 6 months.

inside is more interesting. I did the install last week on a cloudy day. the tube is a 10" from home depot the kit comes with the dome, adjustable 26" upper tube, adjustable 26" lower tube and the diffuser.

All pics are taken with no flash from the same spot.
Here is the hallway before

to the left is directly south. we normally keep the doors on the right open because the bedrooms have windows and let some light into the hallway. This is hard to due when the kids are napping...

here is after the hole in the roof is cut but the tube not in place yet. The light coming through is splash from the upper tube in the attic.

And finished same day

and a couple of days later when it's sunny out - the sun didn't make a difference before. it was always the same cloudy or sunny.

Any questions or details wanted let me know.

Last edited by strider3700; 09-29-10 at 08:30 PM..
Old 09-29-10, 08:28 PM   #29
Daox
Administrator

Wow, thats looks really nice! I wonder if these things have similar problems like skylights do with leaking and condensation. I'd imagine they'd be better since you don't have heat that close to cold like you would with a traditional skylight. Thanks for the pictures!

&
Old 09-29-10, 08:45 PM   #30
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

leaks should be basically impossible. at the roof it a big 1 piece plastic flashing that sits about 5" above the roofing at it's lowest point. The dome sits on that with an overhang of about an inch. A gasket on the dome fits between the two helping stop air movement. If you installed the roof around it correctly it won't leak any worse then the chances of a vent leaking which is basically zero.

On the bottom there is also a gasket to help with condensation and air movement. You also tape every joint to keep bugs out so that should help. We noticed a bit of condensation in the tube of the bathroom at the old house but it went away each day and came back each night only in winter. Nothing you'd notice unless looking for it though. During the summer it was never seen and I was looking.

The Following User Says Thank You to strider3700 For This Useful Post:
Christ (10-01-10)

Tags
natural light, solatube