Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-06-13, 02:24 PM   #121
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

@Mark,

Crows foot flare nut for the toque wrench.
I bought a set from Harbor freight and ordered a big one off eBay.
I would not buy any of these again. I have torqued a lot of bolts and have a good feel for how tight they should be and in the end if they leak nitrogen they are not tight enough or can’t hold a vacuum.

As with many fittings and fasteners, especially smaller/lighter sizes, the torque applied is not a perfect or absolute value. But for the average DIY installer, having an approved, tested value to go by can mean the diffference between a complete mess and something that is "almost perfect". For someone who has little or no experience with cutting or sealing flare fittings, a tool that works well is worth much more than its purchase price.

I really did not need the manifold gauges for these installs.

In theory, with a precharged, factory-matched system with short linesets, a pressure gauge or manifold set is not absolutely necessary in every install. In practice, however, an instrument you can trust is priceless. A spray bottle full of soapy water is no substitute for a gauge. Even brand new systems develop unexpected problems. Just because your systems have worked well for a few days doesn't mean something will not go wrong next week or next month. So you may not be done using that instrument yet.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 02:38 PM   #122
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

That is fair I changed the write up some. It was posted as my experience or lack of experience doing a project like this. It was also posted to hopefully be helpful to other people in the future. I totally don’t want to steer people the wrong way. If more experience people see other changes just let me know I will modify the write up. I am a complete green horn at installing HVAC.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-06-13 at 02:45 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 03:59 PM   #123
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
On two of the ¼ I tightened to spec and once I put nitrogen pressure to them they leaked.
I have a set of flare nut wrenches I just used those tighten the lines up. The cost for the HF crow’s feet was cheap so no big deal.

Your mileage may vary.
Did you use Nylog Blue on the flare surfaces ? I also used it on the threads , which I might should not have done ?

Nylog Blue can also be used on o-rings & such . I put it on Schrader valves , when I replace them .

I use it on automotive A/C , also .

You are right , the HF crows feet are inexpensive enough that it is no problem . l aso bought the HF metric flare nut wrenches .

Suppose to get down to 6 degrees F , tonight . MS is turned off & the gas fired furnace will be running tonight , hard and heavy .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 04:22 PM   #124
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I used the Nylog Blue on just the threads. My thinking was if there was a leak at the flare I wanted to see it now and fix it.
It is 70 here right now I don’t think we are getting all that cold you are getting.
Old 12-06-13, 07:27 PM   #125
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
I used the Nylog Blue on just the threads. My thinking was if there was a leak at the flare I wanted to see it now and fix it.
It is 70 here right now I don’t think we are getting all that cold you are getting.

My thought was that I might have made an error , by using it on the threads ? Distorting the torque settings ?

What I read was , to apply the Nylog to the all the flare surfaces , to help those surfaces move ( without galling against each other) to form against each other ?

And , it may act as a sealant ? Also ?

I do know it is slick as snot . Seems to work well on O-rings , in stead of refrigeration oil .

God bless
Wyr
Old 12-06-13, 11:01 PM   #126
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Nylog is meant to be used for a ton of purposes on your refrigeration system. It is basically polymerized refrigeration oil, kind of like silly putty or vaseline. Pros recommend to apply it to both the front and rear faces of flare fittings as well as the threads to eliminate friction or binding of parts during assembly. Gaskets and o-rings can be coated to help fill voids between the sealing surfaces with less torque applied to flange fasteners. It can be used on valves as well, both to ensure sealing action and to prevent the valves from freezing or binding. Since it is made of refrigeration oil, it won't contaminate your system if you apply too much. It simply dissolves in the rest of the oil.

Last edited by jeff5may; 12-06-13 at 11:07 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
creeky (12-15-16), pinballlooking (12-06-13)
Old 12-06-13, 11:33 PM   #127
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks for this info on Nylog!
I only put it on the threads and back side of the flare. It looks like I should have put it on the front side of the flare. Great info.
Old 12-07-13, 04:52 AM   #128
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

So , I guess , maybe , I did not mess up by putting it on the threads ? :-)

Thanks for the info ,
God bless
Wyr
Old 12-07-13, 08:17 AM   #129
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

What do they add to the oil to make it "gooey"? I'm wondering if it could be problematic for very low temperature refrigeration applications.
Old 12-07-13, 10:44 AM   #130
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
What do they add to the oil to make it "gooey"? I'm wondering if it could be problematic for very low temperature refrigeration applications.
No idea . I think the video said it was OK ?

What kind of oil does / do very low temperature refrigeration applications use ?

I think the Blue is made from POE oil & the Red from mineral oil ?

The video said it just dissolves into the equipment's refrigeration oil . My guess is the ratio is so small as to be insignificant ?

God bless
Wyr