EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-13, 08:24 AM   #11
b4u2
Lurking Renovator

Would styrofoam be worth putting in an attic or is it a safety problem. Not easy to recycle it here so was thinking of just tossing it in the attic. Some of it is larger pieces and my attic opening is not insulated.

b4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 11:05 AM   #12
talonts
Lurking Renovator

I personally would just buy a few sheets of 2" foam sheet and build a box. 4 sides permanently mounted around the ladder frame, and a top with sides that overlap the bottom. I suppose you could add weatherstripping for that last little bit, but if you cut the pieces for the sides straight enough, and have the top overlap by a few inches, it may not be necessary.
talonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 11:07 AM   #13
talonts
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4u2 View Post
Would styrofoam be worth putting in an attic or is it a safety problem. Not easy to recycle it here so was thinking of just tossing it in the attic. Some of it is larger pieces and my attic opening is not insulated.
PS is flammable, so I generally wouldn't recommend it. If you have a packaging/shipping supplies company nearby, see if they will take it, as they will regrind it for molding into new shapes (or sell it as regrind for beanbag chairs, etc).
talonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 09:46 PM   #14
toolingjim
Believer in Progress

We built an enclosure like this a couple of years ago for my father-in-law. We used 2" foamboard insulation, foamboard adhesive, and a few drywall screws. Spend the money on the special adhesive: some standard construction adhesives will melt the foam. One sheet made the whole enclosure. My father-in-law added the finishing touch by making a seal out of strips of old blanket stapled to the floor. Totally eliminated attic draft leakage, and made his small (1000) square foot house much more comfortable.
By the way, the cover on my attic stairs is 1x6 boards with 4" of fiberglass stapled to it. It came with the house. If I ever get around to replacing it I will go the foamboard route with a soft foam seal.
Old 12-17-13, 10:25 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Did you ever make one of these RobbMeeX?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote