EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-11, 07:38 PM   #1
Weed Dog
Lurking Renovator

Default Flymo Hovering Mowers

Came home Saturday evening to find a strange lawnmower on the lawn next to my driveway. This is not a normal occurrence in my world. It was a walk-behind with a bright orange deck, had no wheels and no provision for attaching wheels. There was no note or voicemail anywhere to explain how it landed in my yard.

A few days sleuthing solved the mystery: a friend tried to fix the leaky gas tank, surrendered, and remembered my enthusiasm for all things oddball.

I fixed the tank, tuned it up, and learned I had a Flymo, a lawnmower designed to hover as it cuts. This particular one is powered by a featherweight two-cycle engine, but (and here is the relevance to this website) the company makes a line of electric mowers, wheeled and hover-style.

Here is a link for the curious: www.flymo.com. And no, I have no connection to the company, nor do I stand to benefit in any way from your interest.

I read that the hover-style Flymos aren't seen much in the U.S., other than on golf courses, where the ease with which they can mow banks and small hillsides makes them popular with lawn professionals.

This unit maneuvers well around trees, up to borders and other obstacles, and seems well suited to small lawns.

Weed Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-11, 12:58 AM   #2
SKIN
Lurking Renovator

Sounds pretty cool. I have been searching for one for a while and can not find them in the USA. Sounds like you have your hands on a rare mower for our country.
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:58 PM   #3
company11

I see the content of this topic is not similar with title.
Old 09-15-11, 07:58 PM   #4
company11

hicka i hope so thay
Old 09-16-11, 09:25 AM   #5
FortyTwo
The answer is renovation

I owned a flymo for about 2 years. It worked great on a steep hill side. They come in two varieties - one has a string trimmer type of head and the other has a steel blade. The steel blades were deemed too dangerous and phased out. You can find them on ebay. The deck is smaller- like 16-18 inches wide, and it cuts grass well, but doesn't really mulch. I liked it. Innovative and perfect for steep hills.
FortyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 10:39 AM   #6
goodsgardensheds

Hello there,

Once my brother had one of those ancient Flymo petrol hover models from way back - apparently it finally gave up last year. One of the engine supports had cracked and it was getting a bit unreliable close to the end. I'm not sure if that can be expected from any mower these days, petrol or electric. I've bought two over the last 15 or so years, and they're still both working fine. You may need to go to a lawnmower centre. When I last looked at the ones in the DIY sheds, they were all universal motor mowers like the flymo, although that was 10 years ago. A universal motor is cheaper, and unsuited for grass cutting.

Thanks and regards,
Dabney Walker
Old 01-01-12, 04:43 PM   #7
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

One nice feature of hover mowers is that if your unmowed lawn gets so high and thick that it bogs down a wheeled mower, you can still cut it with a Flymo, since the mower hovers above the tall grass and you can just keep making passes over the same patch of grass until you get it down to the height you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote