EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-08, 08:35 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default My refrigerator story

The first week after we moved into the house, we came home to a warm refrigerator. It was so warm, in fact, that it melted the plastic housing around the two 60W bulbs. Needless to say, we weren't happy as the fridge is only just over a year old. We were very busy, so we called the repair man. He came out and found out that one of the door switches went bad. He fiddled with it, reassembled it, and it worked again. He gave me the part number to order the switch and we left it at that. I never ordered the switch...

About a week later, it happened again. At that point, I just pulled out the bulbs and that was that. It was a bit of a pain trying to see stuff in the back, but overall it wasn't horrible living without a light in the refrigerator. I was kind of surprised. The only problem was at night, we had to turn on the light in the room to see stuff in the fridge, and even then it wasn't easy to see things in the back.

So, I decided to put lights back in. It just so happens that I had picked up two LED nightlights from the store about a week earlier. They are the exact size of a normal nightlight with the small screw in base. Thankfully, I got two converter bases with the purchase of another set of 40W CFLs.

So, as it sits now, the LED lights are always on. I'm not sure how much electricity they draw, but its not even enough to register on my kill-a-watt. They aren't the best at lighting the fridge, but at night its no problem to see what you are doing. Best of all, they put off next to no heat at all. They'll work until I can get a new switch.

Here are some pics.

Here is the melted cover that used to be over the two 60W bulbs.

LED nightlight and converter base.

Daytime fridge view. You can see the scorch marks and melting again from the 60W bulbs. BTW, it felt odd leaving the doors open long enough to take a few pictures.

Night time fridge view. The shadow would be my cousin's daughter running around while I took the picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 09:19 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

It looks like there's a disco in your fridge
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 09:02 AM   #3
Higgy
The Gardener

Nice. I've never seen LED night lights like that before. How much wattage does that light equal compared to incandescent?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 09:33 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

The package had no specs on how many lumens the bulb put out. I kinda just got it for kicks. Thankfully it came in handy.

&
Old 11-01-08, 06:15 PM   #5
ac7ss
Eco-Apprentice

with a fridge loaded like that I can't see how the bulbs do that much good anyhow.
ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 07:21 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Haha, my cousin and his family had just moved in and crammed everything in there. Its a liiitle more organized now.

&
Old 11-08-08, 12:23 AM   #7
toyobug
avid DIY'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
It looks like there's a disco in your fridge
ROTFLMAO!
That was funny!!
I have to admit, it's kinda cool looking....no pun intended

toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags