EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Forum News & Feedback
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-10, 03:49 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default What Do We Gain By Reducing Viewership?

What do we gain by reducing viewership?

This image not visible unless you register

I am questioning Ecorenovator's policy of barring visitors from seeing pictures unless they register.

I can clearly see the reason for requiring registration of people who are posting messages.

I know that we are losing people by requiring registering in order to view pictures. I have told quite a few people about the "Homemade Heat Pump" thread, and I know that about 50% of them do not read beyond the first or second page of the No-Picture thread. I don't know how this translates to overall viewership, but I know it reduces it.

Build-It-Solar seems to be doing fairly well with their policy of not requiring registration to view pictures, and they're logging 10,000 hits per day.

We have no product or service we are trying to sell, we have no program or proceedure that borders on illegality...

What do we gain by reducing viewership?

-AC_Hacker

%%%%%%%

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no-see.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	586  
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 10:46 PM   #2
Joe
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I know that we are losing people by requiring registering in order to view pictures. I have told quite a few people about the "Homemade Heat Pump" thread, and I know that about 50% of them do not read beyond the first or second page of the No-Picture thread. I don't know how this translates to overall viewership, but I know it reduces it.

I agree, I had no idea how good some of the pictures were until I registered, if I had been allowed to see them first I probably would have registered much sooner.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 06:10 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Sorry, forgot about this thread.

I believe the forum software is setup that way by default. Most other forums are also setup this way. It is a way to try and rope in more users. However, it also saves us money as we pay for whatever bandwidth we use.

In any case, I'll talk with the fellas and see if they'd like to (and if they can) change it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 01:34 AM   #4
SVOboy
Administrator

The main issue is really one of server bandwidth. If it had to host up pictures to every passerby, then it would put a much greater strain on than if we went ahead and reserved that stuff for registered users, but I could change this if you guys think it's quite important?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 01:09 AM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
The main issue is really one of server bandwidth. If it had to host up pictures to every passerby, then it would put a much greater strain on than if we went ahead and reserved that stuff for registered users, but I could change this if you guys think it's quite important?
Is there no corelation between blog traffic and ad revenue?

I would think that the additional ad revenue would pay for the higher traffic.

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 07:02 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

We can give it a try. If it doesn't seem to be worth it we can always go back.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote