EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-14, 03:20 PM   #31
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Daox, how are those LED tubes working out for you so far? I'm really impressed with the Sylvania/Osram LED tubes I put up in my garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 03:33 PM   #32
GdB
Lurking Renovator

Since the LEDs don't need the ballast, I wonder if these work with a bad ballast?

How do ballast fail?
GdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 03:51 PM   #33
Daox
Administrator

I haven't installed the LED tubes yet. First off, they'll be a Christmas present, so I'm going to have to wait for them. Also, I have one extra fixture that they'll be going into, and I have to fix it. One of the bulb end holders is busted.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 04:08 PM   #34
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

[Since the LEDs don't need the ballast, I wonder if these work with a bad ballast?]

GdB:

I'm not an electrician, but I watched the install over my desk at work. It took less than 10 minutes. Remove old bulbs, remove ballast cover, cut all wires off ballast and throw ballast away. Only one end of LED bulb gets power, so identify the power feed bulb holder and use it. Cut wires off the other end bulb holder. Put ballast cover back in place. Install bulbs. Prepare to be amazed at the increased light level using ~ half the power of the old bulbs.

BTW, this description should not be used to install your own if you aren't comfortable with doing this kind of work.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 04:27 PM   #35
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB View Post
Since the LEDs don't need the ballast, I wonder if these work with a bad ballast?

How do ballast fail?
Ballasts fail from a breakdown in the internal wiring, ballasts are used to limit the current in FL lamps and also supply a high starting voltage which FL's need to light, once lit the high voltage drops off and the ballast limits the current keeping the FL from overheating.

There should be a sheet that comes with the LED's, it's a pretty straight process even for those not so familiar with ballasts. There's usually enough wire under the cover to allow you to cut the wires from the ballast and bypass it. You don't have to remove the ballast itself, in fact I left mine in.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 07:54 AM   #36
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Bumping thread to see what happened. You said, "I haven't installed the LED tubes yet. First off, they'll be a Christmas present, so I'm going to have to wait for them. "

Are you basking in the glow of LED lights?
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 09:11 AM   #37
stevehull
Steve Hull

I have used "bright" white ceiling paint where I need a lot of light. Many point stores can add extra "brightener" to increase the reflectance at a very low cost ($1 per gallon or so). This is above glossy, so textured ceilings don't work. A friend of mine also put the glossy paint on his shop walls, but it didn't do nearly as much as on the ceiling.

Just did a large shop and went with T-8 as a compromise. If it were a commercial shop, with significant occupancy, I would certainly go LED. But for occasional home use, the T-8 looks to be best value. T-5s are just SO pricey.

In another barn, I also used old fixtures, removed the old magnetic ballasts, put in new ballasts, new T8 end connectors, repainted them - and spent more money than buying new fixtures already with ballasts and all ready to go. Go figure . . . Some fixtures even have the bulbs included.

I did stagger the lights on the ceiling and each group are on different switches, so I can turn on one bank of lights or two depending on the need. Another essential is a roll up reel in the ceiling so you can drop a hot AC line from overhead. You don't have to do this now, just wire it so you have a plug there for a later install.

I also put in a couple cheap overhead ceiling fans. They are a HUGE issue when I am hot and trying to work on something in the summer (note the "trying" word . . . . ).

Think also of the utility of a high output (60-80 A), 240 outlet (welder, air compressor, etc). This may be more information than you need, but why is it that when I just want a couple of lights up and then I get involved with all this other stuff as well . . . .

Let us know how it is going.

Steve
Old 06-30-15, 09:23 AM   #38
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I'm still loving my LED tubes. They work great, good color, nice and bright.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 02:43 PM   #39
Daox
Administrator

I still haven't put the LEDs in. I'll get around to it, but the fixture they're going into is a little banged up and need some repair first.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote