EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-18, 07:29 AM   #1
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Default Converting Halogen tripod worklights to LEDs

Hi,

Another of the projects I have done to convert the lighting on my property to LEDs involved converting a couple of tripod mounted halogen work lights to LEDs using 30 watt COB flood lights.

I simply unscrewed the halogen fixtures from the tripods, and mounted the COB floodlights in their place. One of the worklights had a bar at the top that had 2 halogen fixtures mounted on it. The other had a single halogen fixture mounted to it.

Both of these I had gotten at thrift stores over the past couple of years for about $5 each. They had been tipped over by their previous owners and the halogen fixtures were damaged, and then were donated to the thrift stores.

I had originally intended to replace the damaged halogen fixtures, but when I found a source of inexpensive LED floodlights (see my post here for a discussion about my experience with COB LED floodlights), I decided to go that route instead.

I got a 24 inch section of aluminum T bar from the local scrap metal place, and used that to convert the single tripod into a dual-light work light. I ordered a pack of "5 pointed star shaped knobs" with 1/4" female threads to mount the lights on the aluminum t-bar. I mounted the t-bar onto the tripod using the existing knob, and added a bolt that I put through a hole I drilled through the t-bar and the top of the pole of the tripod to give it more rigidity.

What I wound up with was two fully functional dual headed tripod mounted worklights that cost me a total of less than $35 dollars each. New versions of these retail for over $100 each. The tripods alone sell for about $35 on Amazon.

I was able to re-use the tripods, the electrical cords, and the switches that were on the thrift-store tripods. Each tripod now puts out about the equivalent of two 150 watt halogen lights -- sufficient for my needs, but now only uses only 60 watts of power.

The first two pictures are of the tripod worklight that already had two lights on it. The remainder are of the second tripod that originally had a single light but i converted it to dual lights by adding a piece of aluminum t-bar i got at the local metal scrap yard.

Philip

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193501.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	8311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193515.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	8312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193610.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	8313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193627.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	8314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193651.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	8315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_193720.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	8316  

Last edited by phreich; 07-05-18 at 10:03 PM..
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halogen work light to led, tripod led worklight