EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-16, 11:26 AM   #541
stevehull
Steve Hull

Pinball (or others with years of PV production data),

Since you have over five years with your array, you can perhaps answer/comment on my summer/winter PV array kWhr production question.

I (like most of us) use PVWatts to give me the effective number of sun hours per day for my lat/long., array pitch and direction. Knowing the total max kW of the system, this allows me to calculate a predicted number of kWhrs for the month.

But PVWatts does not account for varying outside daytime temperatures (by month) and all panels have a negative correlation coefficient for output voltage. The STC is based on a 20 degree C base and temps above that decrease power and energy output and colder temps increase it. The PTC value (generally about 90% of STC) kinda sorta includes temperature.

PVWatts simply assumes more sun in summer and less in winter with no inputs for summer/winter temperature changes.

For my predictive spreadsheet, I have used a -12% decrease for monthly July kWhr output and a +10% increase for January with intermediate coefficients in between for other months.

Without this temperature modification, my predicted monthly kWhr output was lower in summer months and higher in winter months compared to what PVWatts predicts.

I just finished designing another client's home (all Enphase installs) and adding my + and - temperature coefficients really closes in on a better monthly kWhr prediction.

Are you aware of a better predictive algorithm (one that includes historic monthly daily average temperature) than PVwatts?

Thoughts?

Steve

Old 08-02-16, 12:02 PM   #542
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
12.5 Kw array We generated 2,044 KWH July 2016
This is our second over 2MW months this year.
We have generated 12.289MWh so far this year.

Don’t be shy! Other solar producers show us your numbers.
Hi PB,
Here's my intertie, figure about half for my other system or about 1.2Mwh for July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	7118  
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 12:05 PM   #543
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Hi Steve,

Here's my intertie system over the last 5 years if this helps at all. (SolarEdge microinverters)
Rob

Lat = ~42
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	7119  
Old 08-02-16, 12:14 PM   #544
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I think PVWatts is close enough for what it does. I am performing a little better than the estimate 105% for the lifetime of the system.
That is close enough for me in looking at what you want to install. But others want in to be more accurate. Year to year it is different so you are looking for a great guess based over many years of data.

Here is actual posted data for my system
Flynns Arcade 12.560kW
This data gets posted directly from Enphase.

I find this graph interesting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016Seasonal.JPG
Views:	1039
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	7120  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 07:27 AM   #545
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

For calender July, our 6.81kW system made 953kWh.

I want to chime in on PV Watts, even though I only have 3.63 years of production. PV Watts has me calculated at 31700kWh total for 3.63 years {8733 kWh annual} and I have an actual value of 35516 kWh. That works out to 12% more than the estimate.

I credit the extra production to manually adjustable arrays. Both my little array and big array can be adjusted from summer to winter and back. I faithfully change the tilts on the day closest to each equinox where it isn't raining. Obviously, if I were not to tilt them those two times each year, my production would be less and more closely resemble the predicted value.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 10:44 PM   #546
where2
DIY Geek

Catching up with the 4.4kW array...
May 2016: 589kWh
June 2016: 541kWh
July 2016: 607kWh

August 1, 2016 was my 3rd year anniversary of my system going online. It has generated 18.2MWh in total, in 3 years.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-16, 08:05 AM   #547
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
August 1, 2016 was my 3rd year anniversary of my system going online. It has generated 18.2MWh in total, in 3 years.
Congratulations on three years!!

If you are like many of us, going live with your solar array was the start of a journey that is better than you ever expected.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-16, 08:31 AM   #548
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Great Were2!

Next month I'll be online for 5 years with 28.4 MWh of power produced from my intertie and about half that from my intertie/off grid system for a total of about 43 MWh. That's not counting the 5 years I ran my off grid system before the intertie got integrated here.
Rob
Old 08-24-16, 11:27 AM   #549
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

“Where2” Good to see you back. Nice numbers.
At what point will your system be paid off with the savings?

Seeing all this solar power being produced makes me smile.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 11:53 AM   #550
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
“Where2” Good to see you back. Nice numbers.
At what point will your system be paid off with the savings?

Seeing all this solar power being produced makes me smile.
At present electric rates ($0.105/kWh), it honestly takes "seemingly forever" (15 yrs) to recover the initial expense of the PV system, permitting, structural engineering, parts, racking and miscellaneous costs. FL offers no incentives to DIY systems, and no guarantees net metering will continue beyond the next election cycle.

I stopped looking at "years to pay off" the PV system, and now simply look at it as an investment that pays to air condition my house for free. Several of my coworkers were recently complaining about how large their electric bills were this summer. My last electric bill was $63 for an all electric house in South Florida.

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (08-25-16)