EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-21, 02:04 AM   #1
Bobinater33
Lurking Renovator

Default Any VFD/motor driver experts in the house?

So i have a handful of BLDC Compressors that are absolutely useless to me because I haven’t figured out an off the shelf way to drive them. I’ve burned up a Teco L510 3hp and a cheap huanyang 12a vfd attempting to do just this.

I have another 12a Chinese VFD that is brand new but the password on it is unknown so I cannot get into it to adjust any settings. Is there any physical jumpers I can use to reset the password? I can’t get ahold of the seller and it seems to be the lowest end model xsy-at1 12a. Completely useless. I’ve spend a lot of cash and time running around in circles and I just want someone to tell me what to do.

It seems that the answer would be a 380v , 10amp BLDC sensor less vector motor driver to drive my largest compressor which is,

GMCC: DA250S2C-30MT
24,000 btu
8,92kva (whatever that means)
380v BLDC twin suction twin cylinder DC inverter rotary

does an off the shelf solution even exist for this type of thing?
Thanks

Last edited by Bobinater33; 12-29-21 at 02:52 AM..
Bobinater33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 04:10 PM   #2
dguzzi
Helper EcoRenovator

You should be able to contact a distributor for Teco or ABB or Allen-Bradley and tell them what you want to do.
I had a simpler problem...feeding a VFD with 120vac and getting 220 3ph.; found a Teco unit for 120$ that runs my 1hp motors great!
dguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 04:44 PM   #3
PatrickHerd
Lurking Renovator

Have a look here https://literature.rockwellautomatio...t004_-en-p.pdf
PatrickHerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 01:24 AM   #4
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hitachi WJ200 are rated for PMDC motors. just have to put them in PM mode.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 01:06 PM   #5
dguzzi
Helper EcoRenovator

Here is a company that specializes in optimizing motor controls;
HecoInc.com Worth quizzing them about your situation 800-432-2645
Old 01-03-22, 11:34 PM   #6
Bobinater33
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguzzi View Post
You should be able to contact a distributor for Teco or ABB or Allen-Bradley and tell them what you want to do.
I had a simpler problem...feeding a VFD with 120vac and getting 220 3ph.; found a Teco unit for 120$ that runs my 1hp motors great!
So the spec sheet for this particular compressor states its power rating being 12,63 Kw. When I do the conversion that equates to 17 horsepower!?

The prices for 20hp vfds are crazy snd make this not worth while at all.

Am I understanding this correctly
Old 01-04-22, 08:18 AM   #7
dguzzi
Helper EcoRenovator

1 Kw equals 1.341 Hp so yes that is correct 17.03 (approx)
Old 01-06-22, 09:19 AM   #8
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Bobinator

I don't profess to be an expert with any of this but I have some real world success with these DIY heat pumps. Shout out for my friend AC_Hacker that pealed back the curtain on the black art.!!!

To start with the amount of energy required for these BLDC compressors for only 24KBTUs (2T) is a lot 3.8kws 380v at 10A if this is the run value?? There are too many unknowns about these to offer any suggestion for powering them

My DIY 5T shop heat pump is purring along at 1.6Kws and I have it derated with a VFD (scroll compressor is rated 7T) but my numbers seem to be fairly accurate.

I had used huanyang inverters on numerous projects with mixed results. For my larger heat pump I used a 10hp Powerflex VFD. and it works flawlessly. And yes they are a few $$$$ but you get what you pay for!!

Being here in Canada our climate is a little on the harsh side and I depend on this machine for heat. My build cost me around $2k to construct and a water to water Climate master was $7k at the time. It was a huge challenge if you read my thread.

I have seen commercial units (Ebay) very reasonably priced and unless you have the tools and time and other goodies at your disposal, I would not build a unit.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 08:33 PM   #9
Bobinater33
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Bobinator

I don't profess to be an expert with any of this but I have some real world success with these DIY heat pumps. Shout out for my friend AC_Hacker that pealed back the curtain on the black art.!!!

To start with the amount of energy required for these BLDC compressors for only 24KBTUs (2T) is a lot 3.8kws 380v at 10A if this is the run value?? There are too many unknowns about these to offer any suggestion for powering them

My DIY 5T shop heat pump is purring along at 1.6Kws and I have it derated with a VFD (scroll compressor is rated 7T) but my numbers seem to be fairly accurate.

I had used huanyang inverters on numerous projects with mixed results. For my larger heat pump I used a 10hp Powerflex VFD. and it works flawlessly. And yes they are a few $$$$ but you get what you pay for!!

Being here in Canada our climate is a little on the harsh side and I depend on this machine for heat. My build cost me around $2k to construct and a water to water Climate master was $7k at the time. It was a huge challenge if you read my thread.

I have seen commercial units (Ebay) very reasonably priced and unless you have the tools and time and other goodies at your disposal, I would not build a unit.

Randen

Ok thank you very much. It sounds like the 12kw number must be the LRA not the running amps.