EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-16, 11:00 PM   #11
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Thank you for the great write up and pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
What I learned: Too many elbows reduces flow.
Use 2x 45° instead of 1x 90°.

pletby (02-04-16)
Old 02-03-16, 08:51 PM   #12
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I finally got my heater up and working. I did 3 layers of bug screen on mine.
Temp in box was 175F without air flow and I got 125F at the vent in the house at about 400cfm. I write up details when I get more time. Thanks again for posting, it motivated me to finish this year long project.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0539.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	6597   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0544.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	6598   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0549.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	6599  
Daox (02-10-16), sscanvb (02-04-16), where2 (02-07-16)
Old 02-04-16, 08:26 AM   #13
pletby
Renewable Energy Nut

MEMPHIS91 I'm glad I inspired you to complete your project. Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labour!

I'll be posting those pictures I mentioned soon. I've had computer issues...

New to me computer, wiped the hard disk clean and installed fresh Windows 8.1 (I know, I know) lasted a few days then the hard disk died (2hours after a warning, and I thought it was pretty loud). Took the old hard disk out of old computer and reinstalled. Just got the upgrade to Windows 10. Should I have just stayed with Linux? Hmmm. Might dual install. I made a partition for Linux just in case I decided to do just that.

Thankfully I saved all my pictures on the cloud just before this adventure began.
pletby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-16, 09:30 AM   #14
gt390
Lurking Renovator

This is fantastic, thanks for posting. I am nearby as well, so I was really excited to see a working example nearby! A few questions:
-Looks like you used PVC pipe. Any reason for that choice? I'm curious about offgassing or anything like that, but have no evidence once way or the other.
-What size fan (airflow) do you have? That would give a better idea of capacity, but those leaving air temps are fantastic at -10C
-What about a nice metal backdraft damper (a heating supply place should have or I've even heard McMunn sells decent metal backdraft dampers).
gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gt390 For This Useful Post:
sscanvb (02-04-16)
Old 02-04-16, 10:48 PM   #15
pletby
Renewable Energy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt390 View Post
This is fantastic, thanks for posting. I am nearby as well, so I was really excited to see a working example nearby! A few questions:
-Looks like you used PVC pipe. Any reason for that choice? I'm curious about offgassing or anything like that, but have no evidence once way or the other.
Hi gt390 thanks for taking an interest in my project. I chose PVC drain pipe simply because that's what the fellow whose project I copied used. I haven't noticed any strange smells after the first week of operation. Now it just smells like warm wood.

Quote:
-What size fan (airflow) do you have? That would give a better idea of capacity, but those leaving air temps are fantastic at -10C
It's a Nutone ILF120 rated at 110 CFM. It's meant for 4" ducting. A 6" fan and ducting would be WAY better.

Quote:
-What about a nice metal backdraft damper (a heating supply place should have or I've even heard McMunn sells decent metal backdraft dampers).
I do have one just like you describe on the inlet. It didn't stop bubbles of cold air from falling from the collector into the house through the outlet though, hence the funny looking foam door.

When I do this again, I will mount the collector to the wall against the house instead of being freestanding. That way I would not have airspeed losses or heat lost through the ducting. Plus more insulation on the wall.
Old 02-07-16, 12:31 PM   #16
pletby
Renewable Energy Nut

Okay, I've finally got my act together and am posting the pictures I have from the construction of the actual panel.

The photos start well after I started construction of the box, unfortunately I didn't start taking pictures right away. This will give you an idea of how I went about things I hope.

Here's my workshop. I've just finished assembly of the box and installed the insulation. Wiggle strips are just laid in place to give me an idea of how things will look.

Apparently I ran out of paint at this point... Stick across the panel is to support the glazing in the middle as it flexes quite a bit. Attaching here will stiffen it up.

I used a table saw to cut the insulation strips nice and straight.

This is where the panel sat for about 2 years before I got sick and tired of it being in the way. Note to self: finish what you start...

Note foil tape used to seal cut edges of insulation. Also note extra holes: I had envisioned this box holding aluminum pipe absorber at the beginning, then changed my mind. Holes were easily filled with leftover circles and caulked into place.

Installing the bug screen. I used a staple gun to attach the screen. then I flipped the frame over and stapled the next layer on the other side.

Screen absorber installed and put away for the night.

Here the glazing is finally installed and it looks like something. Standing the panel up for the first time it looks bigger than I thought! In hindsight installing it on the patch of wall to the right would have been the best idea. I can still do that.

This is what I put over the ducting to keep out mosquitoes. Notice the really bad way of getting power out of the house the previous owner had installed. I ripped this out and had power properly routed.

That's all I have folks! Hope you enjoyed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-10-16), jeff5may (02-10-16), where2 (02-07-16)
Old 02-08-16, 12:32 PM   #17
MarkM66
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
I finally got my heater up and working. I did 3 layers of bug screen on mine.
Temp in box was 175F without air flow and I got 125F at the vent in the house at about 400cfm. I write up details when I get more time. Thanks again for posting, it motivated me to finish this year long project.
What was the outside air temp?
MarkM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:47 PM   #18
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Mark, temp that day was 50F. But it has put out 130F with it 35F outside.
Daox (02-10-16)
Old 02-10-16, 08:53 AM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Great stuff guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
roflwaffle (02-12-16)
Old 02-16-16, 10:43 PM   #20
pletby
Renewable Energy Nut

Ok guys, tomorrow Dad and I are going to investigate what it will take to mount this panel on the south wall of the house. It will be mounted vertically as originally designed. No more of the 12 (!) 90 degree turns sucking the flow out of my panel. It's going to be a straight run from the panel back into the house. It will be interesting as the ducts will pass into the kitchen cabinets! I'll take lots of pics once we get started.

The Following User Says Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-17-16)