EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-26-09, 06:37 PM   #31
Daox
Administrator

Looking good. I'm interested to see how your seeding works out.

Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:35 AM   #32
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

will let you know in about 2 weeks. that's about how long it took last time to see anything.

my broccoli... AWESOME. i don't have a steamer, and i usually just buy the frozen stuff and microwave it, so i just boiled some for 5 minutes, and it was great. i'm quite pleased

for the most part I'd say this round was fairly successful. I over crowded my garden, and I still don't know what happened with the iceberg, but I got some of everything else.

as of this post, i've pulled 20 green peppers, and there are another ~16 growing/grown.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 08:01 PM   #33
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

So, I planted batch two of my seeds on Sat (2 days ago) and both types of lettuce have already sprouted. Dunno if it's the amount of sun on my porch, the heat in the porch now that it's summer, the dirt consistancy. It's just crazy.
Old 07-29-09, 12:25 PM   #34
Higgy
The Gardener

Not sure if you know this, but if you cut your lettuce at the base when you harvest it and leave the root and base in the ground, it will keep producing. It won't be as bountiful as the first round, but you'll get another bit out of it.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 01:24 PM   #35
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

hmm, wasn't aware of that. i'll keep that in mind for next season, for this season, i'm just starting them over.

the watermelon is crazy. it grows so fast. it's noticeably bigger every day. right now i can't even hold the biggest one in my hand. there's another one about the size of a tennis ball and a few other potentials.

batch 2 of seeds... on day 4... pumpkin, both lettuce, and brocolli have sprouted. no watermelon, celery, or green pepper (GP is unlikely, i finally read the seed harvesting instructions, and the seeds aren't ready until the gp rots & shrivels up.)

i really wish i had gotten some of my own lettuce on this batch... I made a salad last night: store bought romaine & iceberg, but home grown green peppers and broccoli. Best. Salad. Ever. I'm still impressed with my broccoli. I might never be able to eat frozen broccoli again. I still haven't eaten it raw yet (never been a fan) but cooked.. yum.

better pic of the garden that the watermelon is in, w/ all my wife's plants.

Old 07-31-09, 06:40 AM   #36
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Just what a single Green Goliath Broccoli plant returns is amazing.

1.25 lbs

So i've gotten roughly 1.75lbs from one plant. I cleared off one yesterday since I have people coming over tonight, so I figured that would go great with dinner.

Now i've got two more of the plants actually growing some broccoli.

Last edited by insaneintenti0n; 07-31-09 at 06:58 AM..
Old 07-31-09, 02:37 PM   #37
Higgy
The Gardener

Oooo...I wanna try broccoli for sure next year now.
Old 08-11-09, 07:17 AM   #38
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I keep forgetting to take a picture of batch two of the seeds, but they look like batch one. except with 1ft long pumpkin plants.

Current progress with everything else:

Broccoli - last three plants are producing. One has almost as much as what i got from the first plant. That one I plan to harvest and give half to my parents, and half to my aunt. She was so interested/surprised i was growing my own broccoli, and she's curious to see how it works out, so i figure i'll let her see exactly how good it is.

celery - still looks like celery, i should pull it soon

lettuce - pulled it all

green peppers - it's getting hard to keep track. 31 pulled, 20 given away, and now it looks like they're on their second life, the entire tops of the 4 plants are creating new peppers, so, i'll estimate yet another 2-3 dozen to come.

watermelon - biggest is larger than a cantaloupe. one died, got eaten by bugs. one stopped growing, but have a new one growing. one will be pulled at the end of the month when i have some friends over.

not really sure where i'm putting the new sprouts though, since everything else is still growing!
Old 08-12-09, 09:03 AM   #39
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

pulled some celery yesterday. dunno how it's measured in the store, i think by stalk, but after trimming all the leaves/roots, it was 1/4lb of edible celery.

It's not bad, tastes like celery, lol. just small. it was hallow in the inside too, i think they're usually solid... maybe i pulled too soon.

I put some peanut butter on it, it was yummy.
Old 08-12-09, 01:29 PM   #40
Higgy
The Gardener

Ooo...a fellow peanut butter on celery fan. My wife thinks I'm ludicrous when I do that.

Tags
compost, garden