EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-18, 02:30 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default Replacing my car lift.

I have a very old Werther international 2 post screw car lift 1984. It is only rated for 4500 pounds. My Tahoe will not be going on it anytime soon. It broke down with my son’s car on the lift.
I had to buy some very tall jack stands to get it off the lift. Thankfully it was not the whole way lifted up.

I can get some parts but they are not cheap and the left screw is not in that great shape. It will not lift all my cars so I think I am just going to replace it.
I had to have it welded a while back and I think we are going to part ways.

I have been looking at used lifts for a while. Either they are not made any more and parts who knows? I don’t want to just buy someone issues.

This is a nicety so I can’t justify buying a great USA made lift.
I think I am going to pick up this APlusLift they have been selling motorcycle lifts since 2013.
I am going for the 10,000 pounds clear floor lift. My Tahoe is like 5,600 pounds so I won’t be stressing it which is good for a lift.
I am going to pick it up in Atlanta GA they will give a good discount for me doing this.
Do I really need a lift no but I will not be getting any younger and I don’t plan on others working on my cars until I can’t possibility do it hopefully a very long time away.
I will be doing a project car or truck in the future. Hey you only go around once.
I am excited the get it even more once I have installed it.

Doing research it looks like the factory has been making this lift scene 2014.

https://www.skywavelift.com/collecti...0-lbs-capacity
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...29696&_sacat=0

I guess this is a tool a real big tool

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180318_174816.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	8252   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1327
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	8253   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	8254   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	8255  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-22-18 at 03:34 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 05:11 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I've always wanted a lift. It has to make working on vehicles so much easier.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 05:25 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It is great having a lift. You can tell so much about a car quickly by walking under it and inspecting it. I have done a bunch of research on them and I will get a hoist jack stand to make it a little safer.
My old lift arms no longer locked not good and I had to be careful.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-23-18, 10:53 AM   #4
stevehull
Steve Hull

I too am looking for a lift. Pinball gave me great advice on a minisplit - so I expect he will come up with a great value with performance.
Old 06-24-18, 11:15 PM   #5
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

RE:
Do I really need a lift no but I will not be getting any younger

Make that another one of us considering a lift. Had to pull auto tranny (4l60) last week and reinstall.

It get old real fast when you get to mid 70's getting up off the floor with car on just ramps to get a tooll.

Plus, even 5 years ago could still manhandle 150# up into place by hand back onto an engine with guy bolts, hard to even lift a tranny off the ground nowadays with the torque converter attached!

I'd likely weld up my own lift if I ever decide I need one.

Other option is grandkids are in 20's or teens. Half the time the work is on one of their cars, need to have them over as helper and student vs. just dropping the car off at grandpa's?

DW's favorite option is to quit buying every 'good deal' truck for under $400 I see on Craigslist. <G>
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 08:03 AM   #6
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I almost did not post this but after reading the responses I am glad I did.

Ok plans changed there is a local guy that buys lifts from a lift installer in Charlotte NC. He buys in bulk so he gets a deal.
He knew I was looking for a lift and he just got more lifts in and texted me. I went yesterday and looked at them. He had a Eagle 10,000 pound certified lift made 11/2009. Hydraulic hoses looked good the cables looked very good. Inside where the slides looked like it did not get that much use.

It was if great shape just inspected by a Rotery lift dealer before they take them down to make sure they work correctly. He had one just like this one in his shop he let me see that one in action.
I bought this one. We settled on $1,250 he added in new cement bolts shims and a few washers. I will pick it up the next couple days.

This one has the lock release in one place by the motor I like this feature.

This lift can be installed on min 4” reinforced concrete. This works out good because I have fiber and metal fabric 4” concrete. I have red dirt packed by a Bull bulldozer running back and fourth for hours it is almost like concrete under concrete.

To top it off the guy was supper nice and we had a lot in common. He was a electronics tech in the Air Force and I was electronics tech in the Navy.

They still sell almost the same lift
https://www.eagleequip.com/product/ECL-10AS.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180624_123551 (2).jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	8257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_132116_LI.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	8258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_132336_LI.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	8259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_132352.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	8260  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-26-18 at 09:25 AM..
Old 06-25-18, 08:28 AM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
RE:

Other option is grandkids are in 20's or teens. Half the time the work is on one of their cars, need to have them over as helper and student vs. just dropping the car off at grandpa's?

DW's favorite option is to quit buying every 'good deal' truck for under $400 I see on Craigslist. <G>
Yes get them involved we need to pass down the skills we know so one day they can do the same. It can save so much money and get done right the first time.

Now what fun would it be not to get Craig list deals or marketplace deals.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-25-18, 04:56 PM   #8
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We went to pick up my new lift. Now if it would just install itself.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180625_161531.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	8261  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-29-18, 02:49 PM   #9
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Today was a good day. I put my old lift on FB marketplace saying needs repaired $500 as is. It sold in two hours They put down $150 deposit and then they picked it up a couple hours later.

That thing was built like a tank they don’t make them like that anymore.
They still sell parts for my old lift so the guy that bought it is going to fix it.

That makes my new lift not cost so much.

I am excited to plan out where and how I will do the install on the new lift.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-29-18, 02:50 PM   #10
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking
Today was a good day. I put my old lift on FB marketplace... $500 as is. It sold in two hours

That makes my new lift not cost so much...
Even my wife commented "$1,250 for a 10k lift?? That sounds like an awesome deal", before I read down to the "Sold the old lift for $500".

A 5,500lbs capacity upgrade to your lift for $750 is definitely a bargain. I would love to have a lift, I just don't have the ceilings for it in my 8' high garage...

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote