EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-04-09, 01:32 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default MIT-led panel backs 'heat mining' as key U.S. energy source

This MIT paper (all 400 pages, whew!) claims that geothermal power can be used widely around the US at a cheaper rate then fossil fuels even. I hope this gets out to the right people. It could promote a lot of change for the better. They also talk about how the technology is already designed and drilling this deep is nothing new since they're doing it for oil and natural gas already.

MIT-led panel backs 'heat mining' as key U.S. energy source

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:29 PM   #2
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm not reading that paper. I'll just agree with the premise, in hopes that someone else will read it and back it up.

I'm not going to attempt to tap Geo unless the gas company that's supposed to be drilling near my house plot will drill me a 400 foot deep well hole or two. Instead, I'm going to try my hand at the solar/water heating systems like those on builditsolar.com, and use around 1,000 gallons of fluid buried in insulated tanks for thermal storage, for those times when the sun isn't out for days at a time.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote