EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-18, 10:22 PM   #11
oil pan 4
Land owner

Where are you going?

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-18, 12:24 PM   #12
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

When this house sells I want to find a rural property here on Vancouver Island possible on the one of the Gulf Islands about 100 miles from where I am as property can be oddly cheap on them still. Mind you many of them don't have a Gov. ferry. I like that I would use my own boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-18, 09:43 PM   #13
oil pan 4
Land owner

That sounds pretty off grid.
Does it have any utilities?
Old 03-19-18, 10:54 AM   #14
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

The bigger gulf islands do have full services the smaller ones generally do not have even a basic infrastructure except for a dock and gravel roads if your lucky
Vancouver island itself has power from one end to the other but not the width of the island most people stay within reach of it I do not care about power so can buy a lot where about no one else would (few) and be happy with it

A bonus is land without hope of services is cheap land and I don't care if I have them or not. IF I had them would still use Solar predominately

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-18, 08:56 PM   #15
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

The nice thing about a greenhouse is the environmental control you have in one. Cold days become warm days wet days dry hot days hotter and a longer larger harvests off the plants . Many people get two crops a year by being able to start early and finish late.

Amazon has some $300 10 x 20 kits but Im very suspect of the quality

A better way to go is using galvanized fence posts and a hand bender and if your design calls for it the assorted joints for them.

A bending jig is easy enough to make or to save error a person could buy a jig like this > High Tunnel

Old 03-19-18, 11:34 PM   #16
oil pan 4
Land owner

Not depending on the power grid is a good idea. The earths magnetic field focuses solar storms on to your area like a magnifing glass.
Add some 220w light fixtures at night to keep things from freezing and the growing season will be really long.
Old 03-20-18, 01:05 PM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Magnetic storms wars .. earthquakes are big on my list. Currently living right on the Vancouver islands fault line that is more then 500 years over due for a large Earthquake that repeats its self every so many years.
If it happened now according to a University geologist we could have a Dam break and Great Central lake a 33km / 20 mile long 333M / 1000 foot deep Man Made lake pour down a mountain and over town .Lucky for me Im at the far end of town furthest away from the Lake of all the homes

Edit to add : My house is 150 feet up a hill side with the Ocean and town 150 feet below me

Old 03-20-18, 03:31 PM   #18
oil pan 4
Land owner

I didn't know there is a fault zone there too.
The dam is definitely a concern too. Dams for hydro power or drinking have killed hundreds of thousands of people in the 20th century.
Old 03-22-18, 12:28 PM   #19
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Im living on the Ring of fire as its called same one that Japan deals with.
Luckily we are on this side of it

Vancouver island is in a rising position when the plates push on each other but it also splits the island in half right in the middle of the island where I live. The 20 mile inlet Im on is actually a fault line that cuts the island in half 2/3rds of its width , only 1/3 of the island is connected by land here. Its bad place to be on Vancouver island when the "Big One" hits. as we call it. Hope I'm south or north of here if it happens. The capital of B.C Victoria 150 miles from here on the southern tip of Vancouver island is expecting the same earthquake to hit them complete with Tsunami , it has its own set of problems as its a ocean front City built on flat low soft land.

My home in Port Alberni is in the center under the small n in the "Nanaimo" city that's on the other side of the island

And last is this image of the Province to get a idea of the islands likely hood of a Earthquake

Last edited by ecomodded; 03-22-18 at 01:03 PM..
Old 04-04-18, 05:45 AM   #20
richardmason
Lurking Renovator

Great work,
Temperatures outdoors have started to dip below what plants are comfortable with, which means that most gardeners probably are starting or have already started their indoor gardens.

There are lots of sites where you can find what people are doing to grow food with T5 light bulbs. Just Search in google.

richardmason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grow light