EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-13, 09:40 AM   #31
Trevor
Lurking Renovator

Best $18 I ever spent. Installed 20 panels yesterday with a friend. The top 2 rows of panels on the roof are done. Those were the hardest, my legs are sore today. Hope to finish tomorrow. I will provide pics and lessons learned when job is complete.

Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 01:07 PM   #32
Trevor
Lurking Renovator

Finished the install a week ago. The install went really well and really easy, minus the 8x12 pitch roof. First two rows were tough, last two were much easier. I will provide a full description with cost and lessons learned when I finish getting all my paperwork together. I thought I would provide a link to the enphase site so you could take a look. If you look at the individual panels you will see I have a bad panel or bad inverter that I need to replace. I am not sure which is bad (panel or inverter)right now, I will be trying to identifiy this week, by swapping the last two panels (lower right). My highest day so far (7 full days) has been 54kwh, which I think is really good.
From a Micro vs Standard converter question, I am glad I went with the micro. In the mornings and at night I have probably 4-5 hours where there is shade on at least 2 or 3 panels, so the extra cost of the inverters will pay for themselves in no time. Below is the enphase site, take a look.https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/...ems/UJcM221235
Old 08-05-13, 01:16 PM   #33
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Your install really looks good. Your system is producing well. How did the inspection go did you pass first time? They look hard a self-installers. Thanks for sharing your public link.

On 8/4 @12:45 is a pretty sweet time. My 230 watt panels don’t max out as well as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	3309  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-05-13 at 01:29 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 02:01 PM   #34
Trevor
Lurking Renovator

No inspection under 10kw in Vermont. I think I would have passed, if there was an inspection. The utility guy that came and added the generation meter walked around and liked what he saw. I went to the extreme on grounding and cable managment.

I went with the 250w panels, that may be why I am a little higher than yours.

Pinballing,thanks again for the dent puller recommendation. That was a life saver.
Old 08-05-13, 02:05 PM   #35
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am glad the dent puller worked out well for you. I am surprised you don’t see it talked about more. I know my job would have so much harder without it.

You should join PVOutPut (This is a link to mine)
Flynns Arcade 9.200kW
after a few days join Enphase Inverters team. http://www.pvoutput.org/listteam.jsp?tid=113

This link will help setup auto data feed.
pvoutput.org now has automatic data acquisition from Enlighten

I really like this phone app I use it everyday.
Solar Status
They have IPhone and Android version. I have the Android version.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-05-13 at 02:08 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 09:48 PM   #36
where2
DIY Geek

Pinball Thanks for posting those links. I'll have to look into that too.

Trevor, first thing I would do to check your inactive panel is to disconnect the MC4 or Tyco connectors and look for voltage with a volt meter set to handle a 45V(DC) or higher voltage. If you have no voltage at the connectors, remove the panel and pop the cover on the diode box on the back of the panel and check the strings individually (unless the contents of the diode box are all sealed in plastic electronic potting material). Each adjacent pair of connections attaching to a diode should read identical voltage (in the 8-15V range), unless your hand or something is shading a string of 20 cells. If you have voltage in those 3 possible check points, then make sure the diodes are all fully seated. A diode may have rattled loose in shipping.

If there was any panel to have a problem with, I'd gladly take working on that one in the corner over one in the middle of the array! You should be able to get to the wiring fairly easily to do the test at the ends of the panel leads. Removing the MC4's is a little challenging, even with the proper prongs on the Enphase tool.

Last edited by where2; 08-05-13 at 09:52 PM..
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
Korol (04-04-15)